Campus Briefs

CAS professors to teach week-long seminar course about ethnic experience in New York City

AU professors Alan Kraut and Edward Smith of the College of Arts and Sciences will teach a week-long seminar course entitled "The Ethnic Experience in New York City."

The course will examine three ethnic neighborhoods in New York City: Harlem, Spanish Harlem and the Lower East Side. According to Kraut, the course has not been offered at AU since 2000.

The program will take place from June 20 through 27. The week includes lectures, discussions and various outings to Ellis Island and the Museum of the City of New York.

Students may earn three undergraduate credits or three graduate credits if they successfully complete the coursework. There is also a noncredit option. Registration and withdrawal deadline is June 11.

More information is available on this seminar at www.summer.american.edu.

-KATE OCZYPOK

Madeleine Albright, famous chef and AU student author to sign books in Campus Bookstore this week

This week, the University will host a secretary of state, the sex-obsessed author of a new book and an award-winning chef.

Madeleine Albright, former secretary of state, will be signing her latest book, "Madam Secretary: A Memoir," at the Campus Bookstore today from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Her book takes readers through her experience in the White House during the Clinton years and her experience in diplomacy in world affairs, as well as her chronicles of growing up as a refugee from Czechoslovakia to becoming a champion of civil and women's rights.

Meanwhile, students will be able to meet a fellow collegiate, 21-year-old AU student and author Marty Beckerman. His novel, "Generation S.L.U.T (Sexually Liberated Urban Teens): A Brutal Feel-Up Session with Today's Sex-Crazed Adolescent Populace," takes readers on an adventure into sex-driven youth and was published this semester by MTV Books/Simon & Schuster. He will sign books today from 5 to 6:30 p.m.

For those whose taste buds desire delicious foods, award-winning chef Gordon Hamersley will be signing "Bistro Cooking at Home: More than 150 Classic and Contemporary Dishes" on Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

He and AU Executive Chef Kimberly Triplett will prepare a lunch directly from the cookbook. Lunch will be served in both TDR at the Farm to Fork station and in the University Club. This event also launches the first of the new Star Chef's Lunch and Booksigning Series, brought to the community by Bon Appetit.

The menu will include includes pur?ed beet and ginger soup, roasted beet salad, walkway chicken, saut?ed spinach with lemon, garlic and olive oil, curried zucchini risotto and lemon lavender sugar cookies.

- STOKELY BAKSH