Metro fares may rise again

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's board of directors is considering increasing base fares by a maximum of 15 cents, as well as other initiatives to make and save money, in order to make up for a possible $36 million budget shortage, Metro officials said.

Maximum rail fares could increase by up to 45 cents and parking fees could also rise to cover Metro's $900 million operating budget. If passed, fares would increase July 1.

Basic fares for both the Metrorail and Metrobuses went up by 10 cents last year, to $1.20 from $1.10. Many people, including AU students, aren't happy about another increase within such a short amount of time.

"As a student who doesn't have that much money and doesn't have a job, I don't appreciate yet another fare increase," said freshman Ruth Kemmish.

The Metro system gets money from the federal government for construction and expansion, but basic operating costs are covered by fares, local governments and advertising.

Metro officials are trying to get more support on Capitol Hill, considering that 47 percent of the federal workforce uses the system.

However, lawmakers expressed concern last week after results from an audit report estimated that up to $1 million was being stolen annually from Metro parking lots and garages, The Washington Post reported. Congressional hearings will be held to further look into the issue.

Metro officials are currently seeking $1.5 billion in capital expenditures to pay for railcars, buses and infrastructure work. Without the funding, riders can expect more breakdowns and delays, Metro spokesman Steven Taub said.

Metro officials are also considering other ways of getting more revenue, including offering more advertising.

Buses and rail cars partially wrapped in advertising on the outside have been mentioned as a possibility. Metro officials are also looking into placing advertisements on the walls of rail tunnels that would appear to move as the trains move.

Another option is installing video monitors in buses and railcars and putting automatic teller machines in 24 different Metro stations.

"We have to look at all means to secure revenue," Taub said.

Some people are concerned about the effect advertising will have on the Metro's appearance. Others would rather have more advertising than higher prices.

"It's public transportation; it's supposed to be ugly," Kemmish said. "If they don't raise the price, I don't mind the advertising."

Metro directors are also considering reducing services, including the number of railcars that run on weekends from four cars to two after 10:30 p.m.

There will be public hearings on the proposals between March 17 and March 29. More information on these hearings can be found on the Metro Web site, www.wmata.com.

Final decisions on the budget will be made in June.