Hearing waived in case of DWI death

The woman who has been charged in the drunken-driving death of AU junior Andrew Burr waived her right to a preliminary hearing March 5.

Shelly Wentworth will appear in court again April 9 for a status hearing, according to Channing Phillips, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's office.

The night of Jan. 18, Wentworth's Subaru Outback struck a Buick Rivera carrying Burr and four other AU students while the Buick was stopped at a red light at Wisconsin Avenue and Edmonds Street NW. According to the Metropolitan Police Department, Wentworth's blood alcohol level was .13 - the legal limit while driving is .08.

Wentworth, 22, made no attempt to touch the Subaru's brake, which caused the accident, The Washington Post previously reported.

Wentworth, a recent graduate of Georgetown University who worked at Clyde's restaurant in Georgetown, has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and driving while intoxicated. This could mean up to 30 years in prison and suspension of her driver's license for up to six months.

Burr, 20, was a junior from England in the College of Arts and Sciences The four other students in the Buick have been released from area hospitals.