Hart resigns after four seasons

American University Women's Basketball coach Shann Hart resigned Friday to pursue other coaching opportunities.

The resignation ends a four-year run at AU, in which Hart led the Eagles to a 50-63 record, concluding with her secondstraight winning season with a 16-13 mark and a trip to the Patriot League championship game.

"We were told that the athletics department wants to take the program in a different direction," said junior forward Chanel Hunt. "I'm surprised, shocked and disappointed."

The University will now conduct a nationwide search for its next coach.

"We thank Coach Hart for her dedication to this program over the past four years and now we will find someone who will move the program forward," said Athletic Director Joni Comstock.

Comstock has a history of hiring successful women's coaches. While at Purdue, she hired Carolyn Peck, who led the Boilermakers to the 1999 NCAA championship and went on to coach in the WNBA.

She also hired Betsy Blose at the University of North Carolina-Asheville. Blose was recently named Big South Conference Coach of the Year.

"We will be looking for a great recruiter and coach, but most of all someone who will be a great role model for these girls," said Athena Argyropoulos, associate athletic director and senior women's administrator.

The athletics department is currently overseeing the program, which is in the hands of graduate manager Quintina Walker, the only holdover from Hart's staff.

In addition to the head coach, assistants Glenn Rigney, Deb Reardon and Brian Johnson will not be returning next year.

"Whenever you lose a coach, it's a tough time for the program," Argyropoulos said. "Right now, our main priority is the student-athletes."

Team members are unconvinced that the administration is telling them everything they need to know.

"They've only met with us once and we just want to know the real reason why coach isn't coming back," said senior guard Chanel Spriggs. "Usually coaches are hired to win and to graduate their players. Coach did both of these and she's gone."

In her four-year tenure, Hart increased the team's grade point average and 100 percent of her players who completed their eligibility graduated.

The Eagles enter next year with a talented class, as Hunt and fellow seniors, guard Joanna Barnes and center Kim Salem, will lead a talented group looking to win its first PL championship. Freshman standout Tara Williams looks to replace Spriggs as the team's defensive stopper and transfer Tala Hadavi will take over at point guard.

All that could change with the hiring of a new coach, though.

"We don't know what type of coach they'll bring in," Hunt said. "We want someone who will listen to us, fight for us and not just impose their own style, but keep our fun-and-gun, defensive style going."

The move ends a year of turmoil for the women's basketball program. After being picked by many to win the league, the Eagles suffered through an inconsistent season before finally playing well at the end of the season.

They dealt with dwindling attendance and fan support. And, during "Beat Holy Cross Week," there was controversy surand fan support. And, during "Beat Holy Cross Week," there was controversy surrounding the fact that the men's team was featured more prominently.

A pre-game party was scheduled for the men's team, which took place during the women's game. This resulted in a mass email from the team complaining about their treatment, according to team sources. The party was later cancelled.

"President [Ladner] needs to look at the athletic department for himself and see what's really going on, because there's issues there," Spriggs said. "In my time, I've been through four AD's. This isn't just Dr. Comstock's fault."

According to Comstock, Hart's contract was nearing its end, but had not yet expired.

Last time the Eagles changed coaches, from Jeff Thatcher to Hart four years ago, they suffered through one of the worst seasons in school history, a 4-23 mark in 2000-01.

Since joining the Patriot League three years ago, the Eagles have put together a 26-16 league record and have finished second in the regular season the last two years.

AU was the first Div. I job for Hart, who came from Div. III St. Mary's (Md.). She brought Spriggs with her from St. Mary's and turned her into the school's all-time leader in steals.

In addition to bringing Spriggs, Hart graduated stars Hollie Steinman, Maria Werries and will graduate Kaitlyn Schuyler this spring.

"Academics takes priority here and coach Hart was a great academic coach," Comstock said. "We will look for that in our next coach as well."

Comstock says she has no timetable set for hiring a new coach, but that she would like one in place by the end of the semester, so the players can meet the coach before next year.

Hart was rumored to have had problems with players, but Spriggs and Hunt assert that those rumors are false.

"[Hart] was a player's coach and she had a great relationship with everyone on the team," Spriggs said.

Hunt, who will return for her senior year, said that Hart was always available to talk and was one of the first coaches to ever listen to her players.

"Our goal has always been to win, so we will follow whatever new coach they bring in. Hopefully, our style isn't changed too much," Hunt said.

Hunt and her teammates won't know who will be leading the program until Comstock makes that hire, a move which is expected to be made around May 1.

"AU is a very respected institution and I fully expect that we will have great interest in this position," Comstock said.