From the Eagle Sports Desk

Womens Tennis earns first PL victory

Women's Tennis headed to Lafayette pumped for its first Patriot League win on Sunday, and it left with a 7-0 victory. The Lady Eagles are now 10-7 overall and 1-2 in the PL.

Seniors Kristina Georgieva and Katarina Kollarova and junior Aleksandra Zerkalova swept the top three spots for the Eagles in singles action.

In doubles play, Kollarova and Georgieva defeated their competition, 8-4, to defend the No. 1 doubles position. Zerkalova and Colarusso secured the No. 2 spot with an 8-1 win.

Saturday proved to be more of a trying endeavor for AU, which lost at Lehigh, 5-2, despite wins by Kollarova and Colarusso.

Colarusso, ranked No. 4, won her sixth-straight singles match. No. 2 Kollarova recorded her fourth straight win.

On Thursday, AU turned up the heat against Howard on its home courts, winning 6-1.

Georgieva led her team with a 3-6, 6-2 (10-7) win in the No. 1 singles spot. Kollarova teamed with Georgieva to win their doubles match, 8-3.

Women's Tennis will host Colgate on Saturday, at 11 a.m.

-LAURA RANDISI

Golf hopes to improve in future matches

The AU Men's Golf team completed the George Washington University Invitational by shooting 315 on the second day.

Junior Phil Kief carded the lowest round of the day for the Eagles with a 75 to finish with a combined score of 154. Freshman Todd Shagin finished with the lowest total score for the Eagles, carding a 150 (73-77).

"We need to work specifically on putting," Shagin said, "but we also need to work on our mental toughness as a whole."

Junior Chris Scheiffer, coming off a low-round 68 last week in Hawaii, finished the day with an 82, leaving him with a combined score of 165. Senior Seth Kaplan carded an 81 on Sunday to finish with a 160 after a 79 on Saturday.

"We definitely have some room for improvement," Shagin said, "but it's nice that we don't have to wait long to play again."

The Eagles are back in action on Friday and Saturday at the East Carolina Intercollegiate tournament at the Bradford Creek Golf Club in Greenville, N.C.

-DAVID BERGMAN

Runners win two events in Anapolis

The AU Men's Track team seized two victories in an invitational meet at Navy on Saturday afternoon, while the women's team registered one third-place and one fourth-place finish.

AU dominated the men's 1,500-meter run, securing all but one of the top six positions. Junior Sean Duffy and senior Matt Seymour took the top two positions, in 3:46.84 and 3:48.58 respectively. Sophomore Phil Gaeta finished fourth, followed by freshman Conor Lans in fifth and sophomore Pat Macadie in sixth.

Freshman Dustin Armani snagged AU's other victory, winning the men's 800-meter run in 1:55.53.

Sophomore Megan Simpson finished third in the women's 800-meter with a time of 2:20.00. Freshman Ashley Dellinger finished fourth in the women's 400-meter in 1:01.80.

Both AU teams entered only a few events, most notably the women, who did not run sophomores Zaia Wharton or Keira Carlstrom.

- IAN QUILLEN