Elections come to MGC 120

The elections for the Student Confederation, AU's student government, are just a click away as six computers in Mary Graydon Center 120 have replaced the paper ballot for this semester's election.

Students can vote for their respective class officers, school councils' members and representatives to the General Assembly, AU's undergraduate-student legislature. The SC executive race is also on the ballot as all four positions are open.

Official voting will run on Monday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The results of the election will be announced Tuesday at 9 p.m. in the Tavern. If any executive race ends without a candidate receiving 40 percent of the vote, the race will move to a runoff scheduled for Thursday.

The runoff will occur from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. with results to be announced shortly thereafter, according to Kyle Harding, chair of the Board of Elections. The runoff ballot will also include two proposed amendments to the SC Constitution.

Harding said that approximately 628 students voted across Saturday and Sunday. The "estimates based on our counts," are roughly 10.7 percent of the student body, as there are 5,870 undergraduates enrolled, according to the AU Web site.

With five candidates for president, that race seems to be the most likely to have a runoff, Harding said. The vice presidential race also has a chance as three candidates are listed on the ballot even though Laurie Barnes effectively ended her campaign last week, Harding said.

"[Barnes] never submitted a written statement," Harding said. The BOE requires that all candidates turn in a written declaration removing their name from the race. Barnes left messages with the BOE, she previously told The Eagle, but was not able to officially exit the race.