Campus Briefs

AU students reach out to local elementary students Friday

AU students held an outreach program for third graders at Stanton Elementary, an area school, on Friday.

According to sophomore Sara Guderjahn, honors students at AU have tutored the elementary students this past semester.

"We tutored them in all kinds of subjects," Guderyahn said. "Today we let them come to school and experience a day of college life."

University students led the third graders to various activities during the day, including an AU Athletics session with basketball players, a session about government with School of Public Affairs representatives, and singing with the AU gospel choir.

When asked what her favorite part of the day was, 8-year-old Victoria Harper said, "I liked exercising and acting."

Nine-year-old Dionte Johnson agreed.

"I liked exercising, laughing with the basketball players and eating," Johnson said.

- KATE OCZYPOK

Course evaluations to be online for registration this week

After work with the Office of the Provost and the Faculty Senate, the Student Confederation, AU's undergraduate-student government, announced that the Course Evaluation data would be placed on my.american.edu.

According to Anthony DeAngelo, director of Academic Affairs in the SC, students will be able to access particular courses and professors and see ratings for their individual fields. The fields are the overall rating of the professor and the overall rating of the class.

"I feel that the Course Evaluation data will serve to be a great asset to the student body and provided the SC with great success this year," DeAngelo said.

DeAngelo is answering questions about the system at academics@studentconfederation.org.

- K.O.

Student government swear-in delayed by schedule conflicts

The ceremony to swear in the new officers of the Student Confederation, AU's student government has been postponed to April 18, according to outgoing SC Secretary Karen Fischer.

SC Transition will swear in Polson Kanneth as president, Jason Trombley as vice president, Moamar Tidjani-Dourdjaye as comptroller and Jamie Rea as secretary after each was elected prior to spring break. The annual ceremony traditionally occurs in early April, Fischer said.

The ceremony was originally planned for April 3, but was delayed due to scheduling conflicts with the University Club. It was then postponed until Monday, April 12. The date was again changed when several administrators, including President Benjamin Ladner, were unable to attend due to another scheduling conflict, Fischer said.

The delay in transition holds up the nomination of students to serve in the several cabinets of the SC. These positions are currently open, with all applications due April 5.

More information about the Student Confederation is available at www.studentconfederation.org.

- KEITH F. SHOVLIN