'State of U.' on ATV pokes fun at SC and GA

Terzulli 'makes news' at ATV, GA

Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli announced at a student government meeting Tuesday night that he would not seek a second term. This became very clear as Terzulli set up his "State of the University" speech taped for ATV, the campus television station, Wednesday night.

The speech, which will been shown continuously from 11:45 p.m. Wednesday until 11 p.m. Thursday, is a tongue-in-cheek attack on the SC that lampoons every facet of the organization. Describing the General Assembly, AU's student legislature, as a "band of surly tools," is one of many jabs Terzulli takes in his speech, which ends with him repeating his campaign announcement.

The speech even takes aim at those attempting to succeed him and at the other executives by mocking his own motto, "For a Better AU!" "Trying to form a better AU, who are they kidding? Everyone knows better isn't good enough," Terzulli said.

Terzulli's announcement at Tuesday's GA meeting was more serious, though. He stood in front of the body to ask for a declaration of a state of emergency in order to appoint Kyle Taylor as SC vice president. "I've made my decision and I will not be running," Terzulli told the GA. "So any decision that I make, I want you guys to know that it is not politically motivated."

As the SC nominating convention approaches on Feb. 21, Terzulli wished to set aside any political ambitions as he prepares to work with the GA to amend the SC Constitution and begins his senior year at AU.

"I plan to move off campus [next year]," Terzulli said. "I plan to enjoy my senior year and find a job."

Terzulli said that his final decision on running did not come until Tuesday, prior to the GA meeting.

For now, Terzulli plans to complete his term, and, according to Terzulli, he will help the next administration only if the executives want him to. "I'm not going to be the kind of guy to stick my head in the door and give advice if they don't want it," Terzulli said.

With the upcoming election already having many candidates, Terzulli said that he is glad so many people are competing for the position.

"At my first cabinet meeting, I said, 'Let it be our goal, my hope that all the seats are contested next year,'" Terzulli said. "That means we did our job, we did something, and now they either want to continue that or change to do something better with it."

Although there are many candidates, Terzulli will not be endorsing any candidate for the election. Terzulli himself was endorsed by The Eagle in last year's election but lost to Haley Stevens.

Stevens later resigned to study at Oxford after Terzulli was appointed as vice president by the GA. Terzulli was then elevated to the SC presidency and took on his own term.