Letters to the Editor

The SC Elections

Dear Editor:

I don't participate much in Student Confederation politics, but I was present at the recent College Republican endorsement forum. At this event, certain candidates seeking our endorsement did not like their chances with the current CR membership. In order to receive our endorsement, a few registered Democrats signed up with the CRs in the days leading up to this meeting and subsequently showed up to vote for CR endorsements.

These same candidates got up and told us that, if we elect them, they will listen to students. Well, apparently these candidates could care less what the College Republicans really have to say. They come to us seeking our stamp of approval, at the same time putting weight on the hand that holds that stamp. They want to "listen" to what we have to say while at the same time working covertly to distort those very words. To me, this is more than a little hypocritical.

It's sad that some of these people see themselves as the leaders of tomorrow. If these people are this corrupt with something as meaningless as the SC, what are they likely to do in the real world when real power is involved?

There's a reason why so many people think so little of the SC.

Alan Griffith Sophomore SPA

Men's responsibilities

Dear Editor:

I must take exception with Tim Meyer's editorial in your February 16th issue. While I agree with his central point, that men should respect women, I vehemently disagree with the way he words it. I would say instead that people should respect other people. Reading Meyer's editorial would give one the impression that there is something about men that makes them inherently less worthy of respect than women. I have no problem with women, but I see no need to hold them to a different standard than men in regards to whom I should or should not respect. Meyer states that men need women. I would say that men only need women as much as women need men; that is, not at all. As the old adage goes, a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. I would also say that a man needs a woman like a bicycle needs a fish. To state that one section of humanity is intrinsically dependent on another section for happiness is a drastic underestimation of the independence of the human spirit. Some women may make men happy, and more power to those couples, but I would not call this sort of relationship a necessity for men as a whole, or for women as a whole.

It is an overgeneralization to say that all men treat marriage and fatherhood as a top priority. If they did, there would be no priests. I am sure that there are many men out there who don't care to get married to a woman, and many more that don't care to father children. In closing, while Meyer's stance that women should be respected seems noncontroversial, his actual argument flies in the face of many men. I am sure his editorial was well-intended. But before he starts telling other people who to respect, he needs to make sure he is doing it in a respectful manner.

Jake Baerkircher Senior SPA