Letters to the Editor

Respect for every speaker

Dear Editor: ÿ

I read Makenna Porch's piece, "Students should respect every speaker," in a state of disbelief. Porch discusses Dr. Daniel Pipes' view that Islamic extremists pose a threat to American ideals. I propose that ideas like Pipes' Campus Watch are the true threat to the principles that our nation was founded on. The United States is a republic - this means that we don't merely protect the majority of people from the minority, we also protect the minority from the tyrannical majority.

We cannot assume that anyone is guilty, or that any group is evil, without crushing the greatest ideals of the American way of life. I wonder how all the conservatives in this country would feel if they were constantly considered suspect because Timothy McVeigh, a reactionary by all accounts, killed hundreds of Americans. Should we monitor the activities of the College Republicans?

Porch ended her article stating that freedom lies in the right not to have fearful tension in the public environment. Wrong. That right is never stated explicitly or implicitly in our Constitution. It does however guarantee the right to protest. Porch says that she was made to feel unsafe by the protestors.

Pipes and Porch seem to think that now is not the time for freedom of religion and freedom of expression. I say that now is when they are most important. The headline read, "Students should respect every speaker." I agree - but this must mean truly every speaker, not just the ones behind the podium.

James McBee Sophomore School of Communication

Peace and Conflict Resolution

Dear Editor:

As a first-year graduate student in SIS who switched out of IPCR (International Peace & Conflict Resolution) last semester, I read Josh Kraushaar's editorial with interest. At first, I had to agree; there are too many students and teachers in IPCR who seem to think dialogue is all that is needed. This peace-nikky approach, seemingly ignorant of both the realities of asymmetrical conflict and the psychology of dictators in particular, frustrated me thoroughly. But then, a closer look at the class led me to reconsider.

I am currently taking that class and far from being unrealistic, the concepts of rehabilitation and reconciliation are some of the most real-world tasks facing survivors of conflicts. Just ask anyone from the Balkans, West Africa, Iran or Palestine. Or South Africa, where they had that thing called "The Truth and Reconciliation Commission." The idea of executing Saddam Hussein, for example, will only provide a temporary sense of vengeance, but could not possibly account for the atrocities he created. How many times could he be tortured and/or killed? Allowing victims and their families the space to tell their stories, to be counted, will not only give them a sense of closure, but also, as a result, allow a rebuilding process in Iraq with less anger and thus less violence against the old Sunni elite and Baathist ruling regime.

Secondly, the name of the class is Reconciliation & Justice, which has given me a renewed hope in the IPCR department. Justice does not mean hugging and therapy - it means accountability, it means truth-telling, it means reforming structures so that the same conditions are not there for continued atrocities. Kind of like, how after WWII, Germany was rebuilt instead of allowing it to fall into the economic despair which gave rise to the Nazis.

Here's my point, Josh. I have the same skeptical view of the seemingly mushy peace-loving SIS program, but with an open mind, I am able to see how Professor Said's love of non-violence is not simply an ideal, but is, in practical terms, the best way.

Lyndi Borne Master's Candidate School of International Service

Drunk Driving

Dear Editor: ÿ

The lead article in the January 29 edition of The Eagle described the tragic impact of drunk driving on the AU community and the larger community. I would like to commend The Eagle staff for drawing attention to this serious problem. As one who witnessed first hand the devastation wreaked on family members and friends in the situations the article portrayed, I am urging students to get involved in preventing these senseless tragedies. If you would like more information on steps that you can take to make a difference, contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 202-885-3300.ÿ

Faith Leonard Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students