Events mark Black History

The celebration of the 2004 Black History Month promises to educate AU students about the African-American heritage. Org-anizations such as the Black Student Alliance and Multicul-tural Affairs helped plan the celebrations. Events, including forums, dance workshops and parties in the Tavern will be held throughout February. - KATE OCZYPOK

Saturday, Feb. 7 AU Caribbean Circle presents Emancipate Yourself: A Bob Marley Party. 10 p.m. in the Tavern

Sunday, Feb. 8 The Black Student Alliance presents a Grammy Awards party. 7:30 p.m. in Ward 1

Monday, Feb. 9 The Black Student Alliance (BSA) will hold a Genealogy Forum on Rooted History. 7 p.m. in Mary Graydon 200

Tuesday, Feb. 10 The BSA presents "The Mic: Featuring Groove Gumb." 8 p.m. in the University Club

Wednesday, Feb. 11 Multi-Ethnic Studies presents an open house. 1 to 4 p.m. in Battelle 225

Multicultural Affairs presents "Exploding the Myths", with panelists professor Edward Smith and professor Charles Sutton, AU faculty members. 5:30 p.m. in Kay Spiritual Life Center

Thursday, Feb. 12 The Counseling Center presents a Stress Management Workshop facilitated by Stephanie Brewer and Rachel Miller. 11 a.m. in Mary Graydon 205

The BSA and the Ladies of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Present Black Love. 7 p.m. in Mary Graydon 200

Friday, Feb. 13 One Accord Party entitled "Who Ya Luvin?" 7:30 p.m. in the Tavern

Tuesday, Feb. 17 Sisters of the Yam present an Act and React Forum. 6:30 p.m. in the Anderson Hall Formal Lounge

The Nu Alpha Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. presents "Activism in Black America: New Movements, New Cause." 8:30 p.m., location TBA

Wednesday, Feb. 18 Multi-Ethnic Studies presents an Open House. Please ask for Professor Leonard when attending. 1 to 4 p.m. in Battelle 225

Thursday, Feb. 19 GLBTA Resource Center presents a film screening of "Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin." 5:30 p.m. in the Wechsler Theater, 3rd floor of Mary Graydon

ReJoyce in Jesus presents a "21 Questions Forum." 6:30 p.m. in the McDowell Hall Formal Lounge

Saturday, Feb. 21 The Student Confederation presents the Founder's Day Ball. Students are encouraged to wear red, black or green in support of the 2004 Black History Month celebration. Tickets are $20 10 p.m. in the East Hall of Union Station

Sunday, Feb. 22 The Black Student Alliance presents a forum entitled "Black State of the Campus: Blacks in Education - Acknowledging the Past for a Better Future." 7 p.m. in the McDowell Hall Formal Lounge

Monday, Feb. 23 The National Council of Negro Women presents, "A Celebration of Excellence." 6:30 p.m. in the Butler Board Room

The Ladies of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority present an African Dance Workshop. 9:20 p.m. in the McDowell Hall Formal Lounge

Tuesday, Feb. 24 The Ladies of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority present "A Tribute to Ralph Bunche". Ron Walters will be awarded. Keynote speaker is TBA. 7:20 p.m. in the Butler Boardroom

Wednesday, Feb. 25 Multicultural Affairs and the African Student Association present "Black History Jeopardy!" 7 p.m. in the McDowell Hall Formal Lounge

Thursday, Feb. 26 The Ladies of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority present, "Addressing Identity in the Black Family." 7:20 p.m. in Mary Graydon 200

Saturday, Feb. 28 Multicultural Affairs presents "A Journey to the Great Blacks in Wax Museum". If interested, send e-mail to mjones@american.edu. Participants are responsible for admission fees into the museum. Depart AU at 10 a.m.

Saturday, Feb. 28 Alpha Nu Omega Sorority presents "Praisefest." 7:30 p.m. in the Kay Spiritual Life Center

*Event details are subject to change. For more information on Black History Month events, contact the office of Multicultural Affairs at x3651 or e-mail the group at mjones@american.edu.