Ward, not for long

AU to rename building once donor is found

The Ward Circle Building may soon have a new name; as the University is seeking donors to rename the building as part of the Capital Campaign, officials said.

"The Ward Circle Building is one of the most attractive buildings on the Quad," said Vice President of Development Al Checchio, who oversees the Capital Campaign. "It is one of the most prominent and just so happens to be one of the few buildings on campus that may be available to be named for a gift of a certain magnitude."

Several buildings on campus have already been named for donors, such as the Abraham S. Kay Spiritual Life Center and the Mary Graydon Center. The installation of the new signs outside the academic buildings around the Quad brought questions as the sign for the Ward Circle Building was left blank.

Jerry Gager, director of the Office of Facilities, Planning and Development, said that a temporary sign panel will be attached to the new stone sign.

"We wanted to keep our options open in case a donor came forward," Gager said. "It's an opportunity one of our donors may avail [themselves] of."

The new name of the building will be determined by a sizeable donation in exchange for the donor's name on the building, Checchio said. The Capital Campaign, a $200 million fundraising campaign launched last October, recently reached $67 million, is aimed at several improvements to the University, especially in facilities. The improved facilities include a new School of International Service building, renovation of the McKinley building and completion of the Katzen Arts Center and Greenberg Theatre.

Different areas within the Greenberg Theatre and Katzen Arts Center are the campaign Web site.The highest price is for the Art Gallery within the Arts Center, at $5 million. The cost of naming Ward would be higher, but the exact cost "has not been determined," Checchio said.

"The University is always willing to discuss naming opportunities with potential donors, and this includes gifts to name unnamed buildings on campus," said David Carrera, senior director of divisional programs in the Office of Development.

The ultimate decision on the name of Ward falls on AU President Benjamin Ladner, according to Jorge Abud, assistant vice president for facilities administrative services.

"Right now, I don't believe there is a name or a donor in mind," Abud said. "It could be a donor or some other action."

Once a new name has been decided, "an appropriate recognition event at an appropriate time will be planned," Carrera said.

With the construction of the new SIS building, a donor may also be found for that structure. A new sign will be built to go with the new building, according to Gager.

"Because of the new building on the horizon," Gager said, "we will, as part of the design of the new building, have an opportunity to upgrade that"