Jobs outlook up for seniors

Seniors graduating this spring will have an easier time finding jobs than last spring's graduates, according to a recent survey of 450 large and small companies.

Of the companies surveyed, 60 percent said they expected to increase their hiring or hire at the same levels as they are currently. Last year 55 percent of companies responded this way.

The study, released in November, was done by researchers at Michigan State University.

Students majoring in business, hotel management and the physical sciences will have the easiest time finding jobs.

"The rate of employment has been very steady and rising this year in hotel management," said Theresa Cepeda, human resources coordinator for a Hilton Hotel near the Capitol. "Majoring in hotel management is good because it offers a lot of lateral mobility."

The study found that computer science and engineering majors will have the hardest time finding jobs.

Large companies are more eager to hire spring 2004 graduates regardless of their previous work experience, according to the study. Smaller companies, however, usually prefer work experience.

"I plan on applying at many large companies to start at the bottom and work my way up," senior Jessica Lowry said.

Shelly Palmer, who works for Foughera, a pharmaceutical sales company, echoed the thinking in smaller companies when she said, "We prefer having employees with more work experience."

In December the national unemployment rate was 5.7 percent, with more than 8.4 million people looking for work.