Congress may ban cell use while driving in D.C.

Legislation would define 'distracted driving' as criminal

Drivers in the District will have to start putting away their hand held cell phones on July 1 if Congress approves a new bill designed to keep drivers' eyes on the road.

The bill, passed 12-1 by the D.C. Council Jan. 6, calls for drivers caught talking on their cell phone to pay a $100 fine. The bill encourages the use of hands-free devices that allow drivers to keep both hands on the wheel.

First-time offenders can have their fines waived if they bring a receipt for a hands-free device to the court hearing.

The bill calls "distracted driving" a category of crime for the first time in the District. An amendment by Councilwoman Carol Schwartz requires police officers to report other distractions besides hand-held cell phones.

"The councilwoman felt this bill was important because she saw a lot of near misses with people talking on their cell phones - sitting at yellow lights, weaving in and out of traffic, not all cell phone users but some. She felt she should be proactive and not reactive," Schwartz spokeswoman June S. Phillips said.

However, according to Consumer Reports, a study done by the University of Utah this spring found hands-free devices are just as distracting to drivers as normal cell phones. The study involved 110 college students and found talking on a cell phone caused "inattention blindness" and increased the likelihood of accidents in high-traffic situations.

Phillips said there has been a generally positive attitude about the legislation, and Schwartz has received no negative responses so far. This seems to be the attitude at AU.

"I think people would drive safer if they had both hands on the wheel," said sophomore Ignacio Cundin, who often drives in the D.C. area.

Sophomore D.W. Routte agreed.

"Maryland, Virginia and D.C. drivers are the worst I've ever seen, so I think the ban is appropriate for D.C.," Routte said, who also drives in the area.

Councilman Jim Graham cast the only dissenting vote. He feels the ban will distract police officers from more important issues.

Graham could not be reached for further comment.

According to The Washington Post, many highway safety advocates feel this bill is ineffective because it does not ban all cell phone use while driving.