Burglaries reported over break

During winter break, thefts in AU dorm rooms are a common occurrence, according to Dwight Allen, manager of police services for Public Safety.

Since classes resumed Monday, there have been reports of two winter break thefts, Allen said. Early this week, a window screen replacement project began on the south side of campus. Administrators said there is no connection between the two events.

"One student had cash taken from a jar in her room," Allen said. "Another student came back to campus after the holidays and reported that her DVDs and DVD player was stolen."

Work has begun to replace missing window screens on Letts, Anderson and Centennial Halls, according to Julie Weber, executive director of Housing and Dining Programs, but she insists that the work is simply a screen replacement project and has no connection to the thefts.

However, Allen said that is was just "time to put up new screens" and that the "window screens in the affected rooms were not tampered with in the first place."

Mark Stern, freshman class president and an Anderson resident, said that some of his friends were affected by the burglaries.

"One of my friends had a large rug that was stolen from his room," Stern said. "Also, my friend had all of her DVDs taken."

Stern also said that he thought it was scary to think that one's belongings are not secure during vacations.

"I'm hoping the new screens are more secure, especially on the terrace and first floor," Stern said. "It's so easy to access any room through the lower levels of Anderson. It is encouraging to know that AU is helping us feel more secure."

Anderson resident Andrea Bottorff was unaware of the burglaries but feels a lot safer now that window screens are being replaced, she said.