AU Librarian dies over break after illness

Helen Goldstein, AU's associate librarian in charge of Access Services, died Dec. 31 after a two-year battle with breast cancer. Goldstein, 45, worked in the Library for 23 years since graduating from AU.

"She's one of the finest librarians I've ever worked with," University librarian Patricia Wand said. "It's a major loss for the library and the campus because she played such a major role ... both with students and on the [Faculty] Senate."

Goldstein started at the AU Library as a student assistant while studying psychology. After graduation, she began working full-time and continued since then. Most recently, she served as head of Access Services, which oversees circulation, the Copy Center, reserves and interlibrary loans.

Katherine Simpson, Access Services team leader, worked with Goldstein for four years and said, " There are so many good things to say about her."

"She was really approachable," Simpson said. "Those of us that were managers that worked with her were always in her office."

Goldstein was born in Shreveport, La., and spent most of her life in Annapolis, Md., after living in Connecticut and Hawaii as a child. After graduating from AU, she received a master's degree in library science from the University of Maryland.

She was awarded the Faculty Award for Outstanding Service to the University Community last spring. The award honored her "unwavering perseverance in continually seeking to support the community and improve the University's learning and working experiences," according to a statement from Ivy Broder, dean of academic affairs.

Goldstein worked until November, according to Wand.

"She tried for more then two years to continue working for the students," Wand said. "She was very dedicated to the profession and very loyal to American University."

Funeral services were held on Jan. 3. A campus memorial service will be held Wednesday, Jan. 21 at 10:30 a.m. in the Kay Spiritual Life Center.

Goldstein married William J. Willard in 1996 and had a daughter, Abigail. She previously had a son, Jonathan M. DePoy, with husband Martin DePoy, whom she divorced in 1990.

She is survived by her husband, son, daughter, her parents, Betty S. and Lawrence B. Goldstein, a stepmother, Alice Goldstein, her grandmother, Sylvia Goldstein, two sisters, Jennifer Flanagan and Amy G. Stustek, a brother, Eric L. Goldstein, and several nieces and nephews.