AU alum found dead on Mass. Ave.

A former AU student who is remembered as a musically talented social butterfly was found dead in his Embassy Row apartment during study days last month.

Tymon Birchett, 29, widely known as "Tymex," was found dead inside a duffel bag Wednesday, Dec. 10 by U.S. Marshals who were sent to evict him from his apartment at 2122 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. After an autopsy, the District's medical examiner's office ruled that Birchett was beaten and strangled to death, according to Adrienne Lavalley, general counsel to the medical examiner.

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating the death as a homicide, according to MPD Officer Junis Fletcher.

"Right now the case is still under active investigation," Fletcher said. "All leads have been exhausted and are being checked out."

The MPD Gay & Lesbian Liaison Unit is helping with the case, Fletcher said, but declined to comment further.

Two acquaintances told the Washington Blade that Birchett was known to be gay, although he preferred not to disclose his sexual orientation in his professional life.

MPD detective Scott Guthrie told the Blade that Birchett was last seen alive the night of Sunday, Dec. 7 at the MCCXXIII nightclub. There was no sign of forced entry into Birchett's apartment, Guthrie said.

"We haven't established any motive," Guthrie said. "We're keeping our minds open."

Police declined to say whether there are any suspects in the case.

Birchett's friends cannot explain why anyone would have hurt him.

"His personality wouldn't lead me to believe someone would do something like that," said AU audiovisual technician Danny Hurtado, who worked in the department with Birchett when he was a student. "He was never disrespectful, always a very nice dude."

It is unknown if or when Birchett graduated from AU; Hurtado and senior Michael Menachem, who met Birchett at a party during the summer of 2002, estimated that Birchett might have graduated in 2002. The University Registrar's office could not confirm his graduation.

Birchett, who was well-known as a record label promoter, would often work with music on computers during his free time, Hurtado said.

Along with his musical talents, Birchett was known for being kind and sociable.

"He talked to everybody, that was his thing ... getting to know everybody," Hurtado said. "He's the type of person who was always inviting me to social events and stuff like that."

MPD is asking anyone with information about the case to call (202) 727-9099.