Campus Briefs

Reindeer Rock Show to benefit Childrens' Hospital

The "Reindeer Rock Show" - a charity event for the D.C. Children's Hospital - will be held tonight in the Tavern at 8 p.m.

"The show is the culmination of our toy drive and a final thank you to everyone who donated," said Co-Director Casey Hatcher, who is coordinating the toy drive and show as her senior capstone.

While the show is free and open to the public, Hatcher asked that people bring a new toy or donate $5 at the door. T-shirts specially designed by AU's Graphic Design Department for $10 will also be sold. All the proceeds raised at the show will go to the hospital, Hatcher said.

Four local bands, Sam's House, Velvet, Urban Style and The Low-Life, will perform tonight. They are commonly heard on DC101.

The station has helped promote the show in recent weeks, according to Hatcher.

She said the toy drive has raised "a few hundred" dollars worth of toys for the hospital since its kickoff last month and hopes to raise more tonight.

- JOSEPH POPIOLKOWSKI

Plans to extend Metrorail line to Dulles airport killed by anti-tax vote

A plan to extend the Metrorail system 23 miles to Dulles International Airport in Virginia has failed, The Washington Post reported yesterday. Tuesday, the Town Council in Herndon, Va., rejected a 20 percent real estate tax along the rail route in Fairfax County that would have raised $540 million. Property owners in the western end of the county thought they may have ended up paying for a train route that would not reach them and mostly benefit the Tysons Corner area in the eastern end of Fairfax County.

Without this tax, there will not be enough money to complete the project, former Sen. Charles Robb said to The Post.

"Now the project is dead and it may be 25 years until we see rail to Dulles," former Virginia Governor A. Linwood Holton told The Post.

- REBECCA BELLVILLE