Riots mar de Lozada's term

A feeling of hostility met former Bolivian President Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada Wednesday when he spoke about his resignation and the future of his country at Kay Spiritual Life Center.

"Bolivia is a poor country, a country where even the rich are poor," said Lazado.

Comments like this inflamed members of the audience, many of whom are natives of Bolivia. Bolivia is the poorest country in Latin America, and most of the indigenous people make only a few dollars a day.

Sanchez de Lozada is a U.S.-educated millionaire elected with 22 percent of the vote in August 2002. He previously served as president from 1993 until 1997.

Lozada is committed to democracy by creating the economic conditions to achieve it. However, with respect to democracy he has not had a significant experience living among poor people in his country, said Lois Goodman, Dean of International Service.

The indigenous people comprise about 70 percent of Bolivia's population.

"I am still in a state of shock," Lozada said. "But the most important thing to talk about is where we go from here."

Lozada was forced out of the presidency after 65 people were killed in riots sparked by the unrest of the Bolivian people over the controversial proposal to export gas to the United States and Mexico through neighboring Chile.

Bolivia has the second largest reserve of hydrocarbons, next to Venezuela, in Latin America.

The riots were an outlet for the people to express their concerns over the failure of the government to improve their living conditions. In addition, Bolivians fear that Lozada's support of U.S. anti-coca-growing policies will add to further job loss.

Coca production makes up $500 million of Bolivia's $800 million economy.

Carlos Mesa, Lozada's vice president, replaced Lozada on Oct. 17 and created a new ministry called Ethnic Affairs. The ministry's objective is to address the problems facing Bolivia's majority indigenous population and will be led by an Indian from eastern Bolivia.

Lozada said his proposal to export natural gas would have alleviated the economic disparity in Bolivia, and the money collected would have gone toward improving "health and education."

Bolivians depend on these natural resources in their daily lives and are afraid they will lose access to this resource and will not benefit from the profits.

In response to consequences he faced for the deaths of 65 people killed in the riots, Lozada said he would submit himself to the law and will keep fighting for democracy in Bolivia.

"Whoever is president, it is important they think through how to stabilize political systems, bring economic development, which is difficult, and hopefully not to engage in illegal and violent activities," Goodman said.

When asked how to regain the trust of the indigenous people who have been exploited for 500 years, Lozada said that he had been close to an answer.

"You cannot achieve trust by leaving a thousand years of resources under the ground," Lozada said. "You achieve trust by results."

As the uncertain future of Bolivia unfolds, both the indigenous people and Lozado look for answers.

"The most intriguing question is what does this mean for the indigenous people of the Indian region as they contemplate their future," said Joe Eldridge, university chaplain. "Is this a watershed or a blip on the screen in the history of the people"