Citizen Summit seeks residents' thoughts

A weekend summit billed as "America's largest town hall meeting" is meant to gauge how D.C. residents - including students - think District government should plan for the future.

At the third Citizen Summit in four years, set to take place all day Saturday at the Washington Convention Center, residents will discuss public education, adding more officers to the Metropolitan Police Department, the availability of affordable housing and other issues. District Community Outreach Coordinator Mary Ann Floto, who works for Ward 3, which includes AU, said that more than 5,000 people had registered for the summit as of Tuesday.

"As in past years, the Citizen Summit will directly influence decisions on the District's annual spending priorities and legislative initiatives," a press release said.

D.C. government values college students' opinions, Floto said.

"There's a huge percentage of students that go to school here and live here after they graduate," she said.

She also said that student opinion is important because there is typically conflict between colleges and residents of the surrounding neighborhoods. She cited the construction of the Katzen Arts Center on Massachusetts Avenue as an example.

"There's been neighborhood opposition to that," Floto said. "[Residents think] it's too large."

At the summit, residents will sit at tables with about 10 others and a facilitator who will guide the discussion.

Floto said that advocates for affordable housing, public schools and libraries would be among those present at the summit.

"You name it and they're all going to come," she said. "It should be a nice cross-section of democracy at the grassroots level."

The summit is set to take place between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday, but Floto said the actual program would probably start about 9 a.m. There is no fee to attend.

Participants can register by calling (800) 990-9809. Pre-registration is preferred but is not required, Floto said.

The Washington Convention Center is located near the Mt. Vernon Square/7th Street/Convention Center Metro stop.

For more information on what will be discussed at the summit, go to www.citizensummit.dc.gov