Campus Briefs

New Zealand ambassador speaks at AU

John Wood, New Zealand's Ambassador to the United States, will speak tonight in the University Club at 8:15 p.m. Sponsored by the Kennedy Political Union and Student Confederation, Wood's speech will focus on New Zealand's foreign policy.

Wood became ambassador to the U.S. in January 2002 after previously serving in that position from 1994 to 1998. He has also served as ambassador of New Zealand to Iran, Pakistan and Turkey. Ambassador Wood holds a bachelor's degree from Balliol College in Oxford and a master's degree from Canterbury University.

This is Wood's third tour of duty in Washington, D.C. For more information, call x6416 or e-mail kpu@studentconfederation .org.

- JOSEPH POPIOLKOWSKI

Students advocate for free trade in Fla.

About nine to 10 AU students will be leaving tomorrow to protest against the Free Trade Area of Americas in Miami and the School of Americas in Atlanta.

"We're going to support The Root Cause and the local issue at hand," junior Andrew Willis said. "This is for 32 countries who have no voice."

The Root Cause is a South Florida-based grassroots organization that arose from the failed World Trade Organization conference in Mexico earlier this year. It strives to reveal the harmful nature of free trade agreements in the Americas and speaks on issues affecting the poor.

"We are utilizing ourselves to get the message out, especially in Miami," Willis said.

Four anti-globalization protesters were arrested last week and accused of blocking sidewalks in Miami for a conference that runs from Nov. 19 to 21. Limitations have already been put on protesters from carrying items of a specific thickness and material.

"There's going to be a lot of security there," Willis said, "and we're expecting Miami police to be cruel."

A number of other events began last week, including forums and rallies from a diverse number of groups that include radicals, union, youth and immigrants, according to Willis.

Co-sponsors for the trip include the office of Community Action and Social Justice and AU's Mobilization for Global Justice.

- STOKELY BAKSH

DTD fundraises at DC Improv comedy club

Delta Tau Delta fraternity will hold its first annual comedy night on Tuesday, Nov. 18 at the D.C. Improv Club to benefit the Brain Tumor Society.

"DTD has been fundraising for this charity for the past 10 years," DTD Philanthropy Chair Evan Koslow said. "They work to find a cure for brain tumors and have their headquarters here in D.C."

Eight of D.C.'s premier stand-up comedians will perform, and there will be an opening act from AU's Mission Improvable.

Tickets will be sold for $15 on the main Quad until the day of the show, with all the proceeds going directly to the Brain Tumor Society.

D.C. Improv is located at 1140 Connecticut Ave., between M and L Streets, one block from the Farragut North Metro station.

For additional information, contact Koslow at (202) 213-3381.

- J.P.