Breaking News: Public Safety Director leaves AU

Public Safety Director Colleen Carson is no longer with the University as of late Tuesday, according to an internal AU memo.

Pat Kelshian, executive director of Risk Management and Safety Services, which oversees Public Safety, would not comment on why Carson left the University. Carson was unavailable for comment, as of press time.

"I want to assure you that the University's continuing commitment to the safety and security of the campus community is our highest priority," the memo stated. "We will do everything we can to ensure that there is no interruption in the services and safeguards provided by Public Safety."

A search committee to replace Carson will be formed in the first two weeks of December, according to Kelshian. Throughout the process, an interim director will be in charge.

"With that process, it does take awhile," Kelshian said. "That's why I want to put someone in as interim. When there's an unexpected vacancy, you want to provide that type of leadership as soon as possible."

Public Safety is reporting directly to Kelshian until an interim director is appointed. The search committee will consist of "representatives from many areas of the University," according to the memo.

Dwight Allen, manager of Police Services for Public Safety, was unwilling to comment.

Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli released a statement in response to the memo. Terzulli stated that this change in leadership will "reaffirm Public Safety's commitment to the students."

"Ever since these attacks have happened, serious doubt has been cast on the effectiveness of Public Safety," Terzulli said. "This change is a positive step in re-evaluating the role of Public Safety within the campus community"