'Boys of Summer' Ataris plays Tavern

Coming off a co-headlining stint on this summer's Vans Warped Tour, The Ataris will bring its energetic and emotionally-charged live show to the Tavern Saturday, backed by Planes Mistaken For Stars and Hopesfall.

The Ataris' fifth and latest full-length CD, "So Long Astoria," which deals with growing up, is also the band's first major-label record. Although the band lacks experience on a major label, The Ataris gained a large grassroots following through constant touring with well-known bands like The Vandals, MxPx, Blink 182 and multiple appearances on the Vans Warped Tour in 2003.

While writing "So Long Astoria," singer Kris Roe visited the places where he grew up and took pictures for inspiration. Lyrics from The Ataris have also been known to mention pop culture icons, including references to the television show "The Simpsons" and the film "The Goonies." In fact, the title "So Long Astoria" is a reference to the town where "The Goonies" took place.

"So Long Astoria" has spawned two successful singles, "In This Diary" and the Don Henley cover "Boys of Summer," that have been playing non-stop nationwide.

Marking the final big SUB show for this semester, The Ataris have a lot to compete against for best memories, including Dashboard Confessional and Andrew W.K. Whether or not it succeeds might just end up being about the audience. It turns out AU's campus is relatively polarized on the issue, with some lovers, some haters and some just along for the ride.

"I saw The Ataris before ... at the Warped Tour, and they weren't very good," said senior Courtney Burns.

Countering Burns, senior Ross Senack praised the band.

"I love The Ataris, but I'm afraid that they will be disappointed by lack of turnout," he said.

A unique look at the show came from Washington Semester student Alex Chasick.

"I think AU has had a remarkable amount of the same kind of music," said Chasick. "And even though I don't like that kind of music, I'm sure a lot of AU does; but, I still wish they could get the [Dismemberment] Plan, Q and not U or Fugazi to play a show."

Opinions like this raise the question of why SUB chose to bring another string of pop-punk bands to campus.

"[The Ataris were] strongly recommended by our agent from Clear Channel ... in terms of who was on tour at this time that we could afford and that would be willing to play the venue," said Jason Geisinger, assistant director of SUB.

Still, some students would be happy with just the openers.

"I'm not a fan of the Ataris, but I'm excited for Planes Mistaken For Stars. We need bands like Journey and REO Speedwagon to come to campus if we want actual good, sappy crap," said junior Debbie Pressman.

In the end, some opinions hinge on Saturday's performance. If The Ataris rock, audience members may be pleased. If they fall flat, perhaps Pressman will be satiated by a stellar performance from Planes Mistaken For Stars; maybe, as she suggests, AU just needs a strong dose of '80s hair metal.