Wide World of Club Sports

No horsing around for AU's Equestrian Team in recent horse shows

The AU Equestrian Team is a force to be reckoned with, taking no prisoners in the riding world.

At the University of Maryland horse show on the weekend of Oct. 11 and 12, freshman Laurie Meek carried her team.

She won two second place ribbons in the Western Division, bringing AU fourth place in the overall team rankings for Western placing.

Western equestrian riding consists of only flat work with no jumps in a different saddle, compared to English equestrian riding, which is based on the rider's form and control of the horse.

Also, freshman Lana Ciaramella won the fifth place ribbon.

At the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association show at Goucher College on Sunday, Oct. 26, AU earned 10 points with three members showing.

Sophomore Jessie Loutoo finished in fifth place on the Open Flat and sixth over Open Fences. Ciaramella took home the fifth-place ribbon on the Intermediate Flat and third place over the Novice Fences.

Also, sophomore Bryn Skibo placed sixth on the Novice Flat.

Overall the team defeated Johns Hopkins, Hood College and Christopher Newport University.

The next horse show is at the University of Richmond on Sunday, Nov. 9.

- LAURA RANDISI

Womens' Rugby splits games

The AU Women's Rugby Club Team broke even this weekend in a round-robin tournament, with ties against Georgetown and George Washington universities.

In AU's two games not, one try was scored. The Eagles tied both Georgetown and GW at scores of 0-0.

The ladies will have a tough match Sunday, Nov. 2 against the U.S. Naval Academy at Kendal Park.

If AU wins this weekend it will clinch them a berth in the Marfu playoffs. The playoffs act as a qualifier for the national tournament later this fall.

- ADAM MONTGOMERY