Friday, July 26, 2024

Staff editorial: Need for speed

E-operations has done a great job over the past few years in modernizing AU's technology. Online registration is definitely a better option than waking up at 6 a.m. to stand in line at the Registrar's office. Also, more professors are using online course reserves and Blackboard, which leaves library-wary students satisfied. With all of these advancements, AU's internet system should be near perfect, right?

Wrong. Since the beginning of the semester, many AU students have shared a common bond: Frustration with e-operations. Internet connection has been slow, Web pages aren't loading and the system has crashed numerous times.

E-operations promoted programs like Blackboard and wireless services, but it seems like they aren't ready to handle the consequences that come with these changes. And while this annoying problem isn't solely e-operations' fault, the group does need to communicate better to students. Most students don't read "Today@AU," which is e-operations primary source of communication. The e-mail that it sent out was informational and helpful, but some students could not read it because of the technical problems that e-operations wrote about.

The Eagle suggests that e-operations put up fliers in computer labs and residence halls or leaves a mass voice message to students in residence halls.

Students do have to realize that the blame for these technological problems should be placed partly on them. File-sharing slows up the network, and leaving computers connected to the Internet all night contributes to the network's overall sluggishness. The thought of actually signing off of AOL Instant Messenger rather than putting an away message up may seem appalling, but little steps like this will help e-operations while they try to get the network back to normal.

The Eagle would also like to thank those understanding professors who haven't penalized students who have been unable to complete assignments because of the system's problems. The Internet is crucial to college life, both social and academic, and when it isn't reliable, it can be aggravating. The best way for the AU community to deal with this problem is to just be patient. E-operations is working hard to fix the problems, so students should complain less and be more responsible with their use of the Internet.