Staff editorial: Don't snub SUB

Since Aug. 28 the Student Union Board has lost five big-name shows - The White Stripes, Korn, Queens of the Stone Age, A Perfect Circle and Audioslave - due to the inflexible policies of Athletic Facilities.

At the onset of this semester, SUB was allotted nine dates including Homecoming on which they could host bands in Bender Arena, the campus' largest venue for such undertakings. The dates offered were: Aug. 29, 30, 31; Sept. 5, 6, 7; Oct. 17, 18, and 19. Since some of the dates fell on Labor Day weekend, a period when many students depart campus for home, these dates come into conflict with a large number of students' schedules, and being a representative of the students, SUB was further limited by this situation.

One of the major impediments of SUB in regard to Bender Arena is that the floor is hollow, and there is a high probability that it would cave-in under the weight of 5,000 people. Thus, a three-day period is necessary to remove and then reinstate the floor before and after large shows. Also, after such an undertaking occurs there is damage done to the floor preventing a perfect fit between panels from occurring.

By adopting a hollow platform for athletic proceedings, Athletic Facilities proved itself stubborn and shortsighted. The implementation of this floor is an attempt to say that a school without a baseball team, without a football team and without a viable intramural field is one more associated with sporting events than their antithesis: The arts.

The other major obstacle that has prevented SUB from hosting large shows in Bender Arena is team practices; however, SUB has made many valiant attempts at solving this issue. SUB attempted to salvage these well-known artists' appearances at AU by researching optional facilities to host athletic practices, many of which were reputed to have better amenities than Bender itself, and provide funding to transport and hold these activities. Instead of being met with reasonable and constructive responses, SUB was shown the door out - leaving these artists to seek performance space at competing universities.

SUB's responsibility to bring large acts to the AU student body has been met with these difficulties throughout the years leading many students to dismiss SUB as a second rate organization. However, in retrospect SUB has been fighting for students' rights and making bold attempts to bring bands students enjoy and are familiar with, to bring greater exposure to AU's campus through these shows and make the AU experience one that is similar to similar schools with big events. Though, with all of SUB's attempts came backlash and resistance from a much too powerful and much too megalomaniac-esque Athletic Facilities.

In the face of this bureaucratic bullying we must praise the efforts of SUB to try and make college a community with a focus on enjoyment for all and not a select few. Kudos to SUB! May they find the light in this dark and dismal time.