N Harvard drinking study HOLD

A recent Harvard University study has found that the availability of cheap beer and other alcoholic beverages near college campuses raises the likelihood of binge drinking.

"Our study confirms the lower the prices and the more extensive the specials, the heavier the drinking," said Henry Wechsler, director of the Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Studies Program that released the study.

The study classifies binge drinking as having had five or more drinks in a row for men and four or more for women at least once in the past two weeks.

The findings are being printed in the October issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. The College Alcohol Studies Program is an ongoing survey of more than 14,000 students at 120 four-year colleges in 40 states.

Student Advocacy Center director Richard Garcia said, "I agree with the study because at parties they always have the cheapest beer."

Other students agree, such as freshman Josh Kaushansky.

"It sounds like simple economics," Kaushansky said. "Demand goes up as price goes down."

But other AU students have pickier tastes and will pay the money to get what they want.

"AU kids are completely snooty about alcohol," freshman Sean Bartley said. "I'm very snooty about alcohol."

"I would pay the extra few bucks for something that doesn't taste bad," freshman Rob Meltzer said.

"We're into classiness," freshman Brittany Boursiquot said. "Many will only drink ~Gucci beer," referring to more expensive brands of beer.

Other AU students said that they would drink anything that they can get.

"I appreciate good alcohol, but when I am broke it doesn't really matter what it is as long as it gets me drunk," sophomore Michael Haslett said.

While some students, like Bourisquot, said that D.C. offers many social opportunities beyond alcohol, drinking is still a popular activity among students.

"Drinking ensures a good time," freshman Maggie Naples said.

Students are becoming better at hiding their drinking then not binge drinking, according to Garcia.

"The number of people caught drinking is going down, but those that are caught are drinking more than before," Garcia said.

This Harvard study was the third in a week done on binge drinking, according to The Washington Times.

Wechsler believes that the study's findings show stopping alcohol abuse on college campuses is an "uphill battle."

"With an easily accessible supply of alcohol to college students, on top of that irresponsibility on their part, it makes it that much easier for (binge drinking) to go on," freshman Michael Lewis said.