Jack Black goes back to school

Actor Jack Black, the star of "School of Rock," which opens on Friday, spoke with The Eagle on Sept. 25 about bands, comedy and "the real" Jack Black.

Q: You've really gotten to flex your rock 'n' roll muscles recently with 'Saving Silverman,' 'High Fidelity,' and now, 'School of Rock.' Do you go and look for these roles or do they just fall into your lap?

A: You know, they kind of come to me, wanting me to rock, which is fine by me because I love to rock. No, I don't pursue rock movies. It's not like I'm saying, 'This one is good, but it has no rock - pass.' I'll do anything that's good, that's offered to me. The problem is there's nothing good.

Q: Do you think the role of Dewey Finn [Black's character in "School of Rock"] best depicts the real Jack Black?

A: This is definitely the closest so far, to the real me. Yes, the difference being, I love rock but I also love to make fun of rock, at the same time as loving it. Dewey Finn would never make fun of rock. That's the main difference. And also Dewey Finn is struggling to make ends meet, and I'm sitting pretty in a kick-ass Hollywood house that I bought. Those are the only two differences.

Q: Andrew W.K. - your thoughts?

A: Andrew W.K., he's entertaining. I'm not going to lie to you. He has entertained me. I don't know about the keyboards, though. He really relies heavily on the really loud keyboards on the album. Keyboards usually bum me out, except on "Roundabout" by Yes; that was good keyboard music. And some Styx. That's S-T-Y-X.

Q: Did the kids in 'School of Rock' know how to play their instruments or were there any hilarious parts where it took a lot of retakes because they're learning how to play?

A: They were all much better at their instruments than I am at mine. They actually were very skilled, and that was part of the reason they were cast. Richard wanted to get great musicians. I was the only problem.

Q: In 'School of Rock,' on the blackboard, you list the top bands in each genre of rock. Did you have input in that and do you agree with the rankings that you made?

A: I don't think they're rankings. It was Rich's idea to get the big chalkboard and he put down a bunch of categories and subcategories of rock - the rock family tree history. He said to the whole cast and crew, and that's over 100 people, anybody who has input, or an opinion even, come up and write one band on the board. So everybody kind of put the things they wanted and then I came in with veto power and erased a couple of things.

Q: How much influence, if any, did you have on the script?

A: I had some notes on the first draft that came in, but they were small notes, because I loved the script, and I definitely would have done it. I would have done it as-is, but you always want to make little tweaks and adjustments to make it form-fit your ass better. Do you know what I mean? If you think of a script as a car, and this was a Ferrari, when I pulled up in my driveway. But I was thinking, I didn't want the leather seats. I wanted the plush velvet seats. And he did it. He put me in there.

Q: Your stuff all seems to be over-the-top comedy, almost typecast in a way. Are you planning on branching out, staying with that, or just maybe toning it down a little?

A: It's not typecast. I'm doing what I want to do. And will I want to branch out from it? Maybe someday. My movies are like works of delicate china. I'm going to bring the big stuff, and if you don't like it - I got to think of something funny to say - if you don't like it, you can go to the small subtle movie that's playing next door. It's called "Delicacy of Mr. Poopinlunge."

Q: Thanks, Jack.

A: Don't misquote me. I will come after you on my Harley of Death.