Hyperactive headbanger heats up Tavern

Party enthusiast Andrew W.K. brought his hard-hitting riffs and dumbed-down, but oddly refreshing lyrics to more than 300 fans in the Tavern Thursday night. After playing Nation, the MCI Center, the D.C. Warped Tour, George Washington University and the 9:30 Club several times in the past year, Thursday's show, sponsored by the Student Union Board, marked his first at AU.

Riding high on the success of his September release "The Wolf," W.K. and his five-piece band erupted with epic melodies on "Never Let Down" and "I Get Wet." He even changed the chorus of "I Love NYC" to "I Love American University." W.K. also manned the keyboards for the intro to the goofy "Ready to Die" and guitar intro on the awkwardly sensitive "She Is Beautiful," both from 2001's smash "I Get Wet."

However, the barricade and Public Safety officers prevented the audience from dancing and jump kicking with W.K. on stage, a traditional aspect of his shows. Assistant SUB Director Jason Geisinger said the stage could have buckled under the weight. W.K. said that shouldn't prevent the audience from having a good time.

"If someone in your life makes you sad, it's your own fault," W.K. said to the audience. They took his words to heart and by the show's final song, over 15 fans defied both barricade and officers and joined W.K. on stage in barbaric chants of "I Get Wet" and pulsating '80s metal riffs.