Helicopter lands at AU

A U.S. Park Police helicopter landed on Reeves Field Thursday afternoon to transport a construction worker to Baltimore's Union Memorial Hospital.

"The D.C. Fire Department had an emergency where they had to helicopter a patient immediately to the Baltimore Trauma center," said Colleen Carson, director of AU's Department of Public Safety. "They basically commandeered our soccer field, because it was closest and the only available spot where a helicopter could land due to the time of day."

Todd Sedmak, director of AU's Media Relations Office, said that the injured person was a construction worker at the Greenbriar Apartments at 4300 Massachusetts Ave., NW. The Washington Post reported that the 23-year-old worker severed his thumb with a circular saw about 1 p.m.

D.C. Fire, Police and EMS responded to the call and then transported the man to the field where the helicopter landed. EMT's at the site stated that the Park Police helicopter was the closest at the time of the accident, otherwise a LifeFlight copter would've been used.