Greeks push alcohol-free week

Greeks Advocating for Mature Management of Alcohol (GAMMA) and other campus organizations are going to "Tell It Like It Is," the theme for this year's National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week (NCAAW) that started yesterday.

NCAAW focuses on the issue of alcoholism in relation to college students, informing students on alternatives to alcohol and educating them on how to act responsibly, according to Louis Ostrowsky, president of GAMMA.

"It's not as much focused on health but rather focused on educating students and getting them aware of potential, dangerous situations," Ostrowsky said. "We tried to tailor it to college students."

This is the sixth year that GAMMA has sponsored the event and worked with the Inter-Fraternity Council, Pan Hellenic Association and National Pan-Hellenic Council. Representatives from each of the 15 AU fraternities and sororities were working on the committee with representatives from student groups, according to Ostroswsky.

"Everyone came to the meetings and was really organized. They were passionate about making the week go well," committee member Jeff Weiser said. "Louis has done a great job and has shown great passion and I think the week will go well because of him."

The committee has been planning since the beginning of the school year. An announcement was made on "Today@AU" for other participants during the week. Campus organizations that have planned events in conjunction with NCAAW include The Naked Truth, Student Advocacy Center, the residence halls, the Athletics Department, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Office of Greek Life and Office of the Dean of Students.

"We had a great response from a lot of student organizations," committee member Sara Jacobson said. "It's a diverse group."

Ostroswky said there are about four to five events each day and he hopes the events will reach out and make people aware of the issue.

The main event will feature keynote speaker, Bill Ross, in "Last Call: A Sobering Look at Alcohol Abuse." Ross is a former college drug and alcohol educator as well as professional juggler and clown. There will also be activities beforehand including Happy Hour and a DJ.

"We're not trying to preach to everyone but we want to make it fun and interesting," Jacobson said. "We want students to be engaged. We're not telling students what to do and what not to do ... but to really inform them on the effects of drinking."

A number of organizations will host different events from parties to 'mocktails' as well as activities that provide students with alternatives to drinking. Residence halls are also actively informing students with postings on bulletin boards and interactive activities.

"[This week is] a great way to provide attention to the issue and at least get students to think about their behavior towards alcohol, their peers' behavior towards it and habits regarding alcohol consumption," Greek Life Coordinator Dan Kelley said.