Downloading explained

Vocabulary for the tech-less

P2P: peer-to-peer

ANTIVIRAL: Indicates whether the p2p client has an antiviral scan programmed in. Many clients do not, though many viruses are distributed through each system. Anyone using p2p needs to have antivirus software. AU offers a free copy of Norton Antivirus to all students, staff and faculty.

ADWARE and SPYWARE: Types of programs that someone downloads along with the actual p2p client. Adware creates pop-ups and banners. Spyware sends information about your computer and use back to a third party without notifying you. To see if a p2p client, or any program, that you use has either check the privacy policy carefully.

SUPERNODE: When a computer becomes a supernode it can search faster for media because it links to more computers on the network. However, even when the computer is not in use, the peer-to-peer client will use around 10 percent of its processing power. On a small network, such as AU's, this can cause the network to come to a screeching halt as it did two years ago when the second version of Kazaa came out. E-operations requests that people turn off the super-node feature so that it uses less bandwidth.

Where music can be found...

Semi-centralized clients

While there is a centralized search engine for media, the media storage is distributed among the users. After Napster shut down, there are no fully centralized free programs for fear of lawsuits.

Kazaa - contains spyware & adware, antivirus included www.kazaa.com

Kazaa is currently the most popular p2p program, although it also attracts the RIAA's lawsuits. It's produced by a company based out of Australia to avoid certain legal troubles. Because of the amount of people using it you are more likely to find what you are looking for.

It also uses supernodes where the program can use up to 10 percent of your processing power for the program. E-operations asks that you disable this function. It shares a network with Grokster and Morpheus so you can find the same content on all three.

Kazaalite - antivirus included www.kazaalite.com

This also uses the very popular Kazaa/Morpheus/Grokster network. However, there is no adware and spyware associated with this program and it also allows for a greater amount of user privacy.

Grokster - contains spyware & adware www.grokster.com

A slightly less popular program because you need the latest Windows Media Player to listen to music. It shares a network with Kazaa and Morpheus. It also allows for supernodes. Windows only.

iMesh - contains spyware & adware www.imesh.com

This Israeli-based p2p is popular internationally. It also recently began issuing free, legal computer downloads.

Gnutella semi-centralized source users

Limewire - contains spyware, antivirus included www.limewire.com

WinMX www.winmx.com

A medium-sized, older p2p program. Usually fairly reliable. Windows only. Still an old favorite.

BearShare www.bearshare.com

A smaller Gnutella network user. Windows only.

Morpheus www.morpheus.com

This client was popular about two years ago and was shoved aside when Kazaa came out. It uses the Gnutella protocol.

Decentralized clients

A decentralized client does not share things on a network. Files can be found on different Web sites.

BitTorrent www.bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

This is a slightly more complicated and completely decentralized file-sharing program. Download the bittorent script and then do a Google search for the media that you want and torrent. Different Web sites that host the file will then show up. After you click on the media file it will start to download.

Paid centralized clients

iTunes www.apple.com/itunes

This program is currently only for Macintosh computers; however, it is coming out with a Windows client. It is the most popular paid file-sharing client to date.

EMusic www.emusic.com