Campus Briefs

Former AU Professor dies at 81

Former AU Professor Isaac Davidson Welt, 81, died Oct. 10 from complications of a stroke at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Md.

Welt served on AU's faculty for several years, starting in 1960 as a Biology and Chemistry teacher. He went on to specialize in information service with AU's Center for Technology and Administration, which became a part of the College of Public Affairs in 1972, according to the AU Web site.

For the past 50 years, Welt taught Jewish History at the Arlington-Fairfax Jewish Center while living in Arlington.

Prior to coming to AU, Welt worked for the National Academy of Sciences for seven years.

Welt was born in Montreal and attended McGill University for his Bachelor's Degree and a master's in anatomy. He also attended Yale where he received a doctorate in physiological chemistry.

H his survived by his wife, Rhoda Welt of Silver Spring, Md., two children, Selman Welt of Lubbock, Texas and Bernard Welt of Tacoma Park, and five grandchildren. He is preceded by a son, Murray Welt, who died earlier this year.

- Keith F. Shovlin

AU publishes the most in national academic journal for third year

AU has been hailed for the third straight year as the most published institution in the annual National Conference on Undergraduate Research Journal.

Of the more than 2,500 papers presented at the Conference by schools throughout the country, 347 (approximately 14 percent) were published. Of these, 32 were from AU students.

"We could have had more papers published, but the rules were changed just for us," professor Abdul Karim Bangura said.

Over 5,000 students, professors and administrators from over 400 institutions met in Salt Lake City, Utah, at the Conference to discuss the submissions.

"The NCUR is a forum for undergraduate students to present research they've done in any area they're studying, ranging from chemistry to the liberal arts," said Brother Adeyemi Stembridge, an advisor to the conference.

Of AU's 32 publications in the Journal, 18 originated from the School of International Service; the Kogod School of Business and the College of Arts and Sciences contributed six each, and the School of Public Affairs published two.

The institutions represented at the Conference included academic powerhouses such as Harvard, Yale, Columbia, University of California Berkeley, University of Virginia, and West Point, Bangura said.

-Joseph Popiolkowski