Campus Brief: Classic 5K holds fundraiser

Classic 5K race holds fundraiser at Mongolian Barbeque

The American Classic 5K Race will receive a portion of the proceeds from every meal sold between 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. tonight at BD's Mongolian BBQ in Bethesda.

"The Mongolian BBQ Fundraiser is the kickoff to the week before the race," said Dan Paepke, co-captain of Team Runn'g Heads, the group that sponsors the race. "We really want to get the whole AU community involved in our cause in some way."

AUTO vans going to the restaurant will leave from near the South Side shuttle stop and the back of Kay Spiritual Life Center throughout the night. The restaurant is also south of the Bethesda Metro station on Wisconsin Avenue.

The race takes place on Oct. 18 at 8 a.m. covering all of AU's campus. Paepke said they hope to attract 500 runners.

Registration is $15 and anyone can register to walk, jog or run the race at www.studentconfederation.org/run.

- JOE POPIOLKOWSKI

New name, new face for Womens' a cappella group at AU

Formerly known as Philomela, AU's women's a cappella group has renamed itself "Treble In Paradise."

"We just wanted to have a more fun and spirited name," President Meredith Gray said. "No one knew what Philomela meant, so we wanted people to know the name and understand that we are here and are an active group."

Gray also said that the group has gotten a lot of new members and will be building up its reputation.

The group will perform during Family Weekend on Oct. 26 in Kay Spiritual Life Center at 2 p.m.

Song selections include "Possession" by Sarah MacLachlan, "Cowboy, Take me Away" by Dixie Chicks, "Walking on Broken Glass" by Annie Lennox and "Galileo" by the Indigo Girls.

- STOKELY BAKSH

Chrissy Gephardt speaks for National Coming OUT Week

Chrissy Gephardt, daughter of Democratic presidential candidate Dick Gephardt, will be giving a keynote speech on Tuesday, Oct.14 in McDowell Formal Lounge at 8 p.m., as part of National Coming OUT Week that runs from Oct. 13 to 18.

She will be talking about coming out to her family, her father's political campaign and her work with the GLBT community.

The event will be sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Resource Center, AU Queers and Allies and College Democrats.

For more information, contact the GLBTA Resource Center at x3347.

Other events for National Coming out Week include Pajama-Rama Mixer, S+M 101, Trans 101, Interfaith Hate Crimes Vigil, GLBTA Alumni Homecoming Reception, Queers and Allies presents Magical Mystery Tour and SUB presents Margaret Cho.