Bio-pic a real downer

He Said She Said

Sylvia R, 103 m Starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Daniel Craig Directed by Christine Jeffs Opens Oct. 24.

2.5 / 4 stars

Talk about a downer. "Sylvia," starring Gwyneth Paltrow as the famous yet disturbed poet Sylvia Plath and Daniel Craig as fellow poet and love interest Ted Hughes, is a good, but very un-fun film about the rise and fall of their romantic relationship.

This "bio-pic" starts out fine with a cute and entertaining meeting and courtship between Plath and Hughes. They jitterbug or do one of the crazy old dances people used to do, and are presented as attractive college students falling in love. What's not to like?

Then the couple marry and things get wacky. As the movie progresses the landscapes also seem to get creepier and more claustrophobia-inspiring. As Plath gets older, she also looks crazier.

Also a lot of slow parts in the film could lose some tired viewers to sleep. However, when things get intense the audience can really feel the characters' emotions. The film deals a lot with Plath's seemingly strange mindset that often leads her toward suicidal tendencies. By the end of the film, it is hard to tell if Plath is insane or a dark, moody genius.

There are several plot holes in the film, but they don't really affect the overall story enough to be annoying, and can thus be overlooked.

The highlight of the movie is the full frontal nude scene featuring Gwyneth Paltrow. If nothing else, go for that.

"Sylvia" is definitely not a good first-date movie. In fact, it's probably not a good date movie at all. Chances are if you are taking a girl to see this, she's not your girlfriend, but actually a really bitter, and possibly crazy, lady.

- Jorge Del Pinal

4 / 4 stars

With her last movie, "A View from the Top," being a complete waste of time and money, I was excited to see Gwyneth Paltrow's latest movie, "Sylvia." It didn't involve an airplane, a cheesy soliloquy or a cameo from Mike Meyers, so I knew that it had to better than her last box office disaster.

"Sylvia" tells the story of Sylvia Plath, the legendary American author and poet, and her relationship with Ted Hughes, the British poet laureate. Their attraction was instantaneous, their journey was rocky, and their parting was Sylvia's suicide. They have emerged as two of the most influential writers of the 20th century.

The movie begins with Sylvia dying, and then jumps back to her youth. We are exposed to her early writing, her relationship with Ted and her erratic behavior. Within four months of dating, Ted and Sylvia marry and move to America, where Sylvia has a teaching job.

The trouble begins when Sylvia gets incurable writer's block and is unable to do what she loves most: write. Ted's writing brings him fame, attention, and mostly, the ladies. Ah yes, those pretty women with perky chests and batting eyelashes always find their way into every movie script.

Sylvia watches from afar as her husband writes, travels and succeeds, while she cooks, cleans and takes care of the children. Her jealousy eats away at the only sanity she has left, and ultimately is the cause of her mental breakdown.

This film is a masterpiece. But don't get too excited, for it is my turn to deliver an earth-shattering soliloquy.

Do not go see this movie unless you want to see art on screen. I was reminded of last year's movie, "The Hours." This is a very dark biography on the intense depression of a beautiful woman. Sylvia Plath loved her husband more than life, but could only cure her writer's block if she was away from him. As soon as he was back in her life, she could only sit in his shadow of fame.

This movie is perfect for friends or family members to see together. I would never go on a date to see this movie because I imagine awkward silences and painful glances on the drive home. A dull car ride home never leads to a second date or a kiss goodnight. So grab your roommate, best friend or Mom for this one. Or in my case, Jorge.

- Rachel Scorca