AU preps for parents

More than 500 families are expected to attend Family Weekend, today through Sunday. Events range from a historic walk through AU to Gov. George Pataki's (R-N.Y.) speech, according to Tiffany Sanchez, director of New Student Programs.

"The primary purpose of Family Weekend is to provide an opportunity to families to visit campus and their students and just for the AU community to welcome parents to campus as well," Sanchez said.

Pre-registration has already brought in 488 families, and 50 to 100 more are expected to register on Friday, Sanchez said. "That actually adds up to 1,200 to 1,500 people."

This is only a slight drop from last year, but "not by a significant margin,"

Sanchez said.

Guests are given the opportunity to explore AU and experience campus life first hand through a number of events. This year a bus tour will kick off the weekend, visiting the National Cathedral, Embassy Row and the former homes

of Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson and

Richard Nixon.

Also, a historic walking tour of AU, hosted by library archivist George Arnold, and an exhibition of paintings in the Watkins Art Building will run throughout Friday.

Afternoon classes and TDR will be open to parents during lunchtime, according to the New Student Programs Web site.

Parents may also attend a Family Shabbat at 6 p.m. Friday in Kay Spiritual Life Center and the Department of Performing Arts' "Cabaret" at 8 p.m. in the Harold and Sylvia Greenberg Theatre (tickets are required). A Gospel Extravaganza will end the night in Kay Spiritual Life Center at 8 p.m.

Before lunch on Saturday, parents may also attend classes in the Ward Circle Building with University professors. A

barbecue with a live band will take

place in the Woods-Brown Amphitheater

starting at noon.

Sanchez said the family barbecue is her favorite event of the weekend. "We bring in a band, the food is great and it is just

a great time."

The Kennedy Political Union lecture series presents Gov. George Pataki,

(R-N.Y.) Saturday night in Bender Arena

at 8:15 p.m.

"We're thrilled [about Pataki] and we've known for a while," Sanchez said. "KPU Director Eric Morley has done a fantastic job of keeping us involved. We have had a lot of families sign up for that."

Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli previously told The Eagle that he expects the Pataki event to bring out a lot of students.

"I really think people will turn out to

hear him speak about leadership ... being

a month after the 9-11 anniversary,"

Terzulli said.

On Sunday, a new event, the Sparkling Cider Brunch, will serve Jamba Juice, desserts, baked muffins and breads.

Sanchez was very hopeful for the event. "Who knows? It might become my favorite [event]," she said.

Kay Spiritual Life Center will run religious services throughout Sunday,

including Unitarian Universalist Worship,

Baha'i Devotions, United Methodist and

Catholic Mass.

For more information about the upcoming events visit the New Student Programs Web site at www.american.edu/ocl/orientation.