Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up

AU Pride ... We were happy to see the best of AU out on the Quad this past Wednesday. It's not often that we see an outpouring of enthusiasm for the school, free food and President Ladner. Our advice? Repeat - and often. We're still 49 places behind Tier 1.

Andrew W.K. and WVAU ... Kudos to WVAU for getting Andrew W.K. to come to DJ Rosstar's radio show last week. Six students interviewed the rocker for over half an hour on AU's radio show. Now only if we could get SUB to get him to play a free concert ...

Screen on Green ... "The Matrix Reloaded" is a good sign that our student activities are continuing a tradition that began last year with "Old School." Any event that can draw lots of students to hang out together is good in our book.

Senior Night at the Four Provinces ... There were free prizes, beer, raffles, good music and bar specials. Looks like our tuition went to something good this year. Now incoming freshmen have another thing to look forward to as seniors.

Thumbs Down

Registrar scheduling ... We understand that sometimes there will be clashes over who gets a room, but when a class, which students pay for, gets booted in favor of an organizational meeting, the members of the class and the professor have a right to gripe. There is absolutely no reason and no excuse when a class is denied room to meet, especially when the only reason why the organization was given the room was through a technical goof-up in the registrar's office.

SmarTrip unavailability ... For anyone thinking of purchasing a SmarTrip card for the Metro, you'll have to wait until October thanks to a manufacturing glitch. The convenient cards that are popular with commuters and many students will be temporarily unavailable, which will leave many students fumbling for change in the next month. See more in-depth coverage on page 6.

Disturbing the peace ... Students woke up to a ravaged green this weekend as tire tracks dominated the Quad, tearing up the grass and creating less space to sit and to play. Students on South side were also roused early Thursday morning by the first fire alarm of the year. Although we expected it to happen much sooner, we still hate getting up at 6:45 a.m.