Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up

Dashboard Confessional in Bender ... We've never seen lines this long outside of Bender Arena before, and we probably won't for a very long time. Although the concert wasn't free to AU students, we're just happy that SUB was finally able to bring a big-name band to our campus again. Even the opening acts are pretty well-known, and students were treated to a great Sunday night diversion from schoolwork.

No fire alarms (Knock on wood) ... One of the most defining characteristics of dorm life at AU, especially South side, hasn't reared its ugly head yet. "Yet" being the operative word ... though we all hope that things stay the same so that students will not have to wake up at 3 a.m. and drag themselves outside for half an hour while they should be resting up for classes and internships. The substantial bounty Housing and Dining Programs has offered for information on any alarm-pullers is probably a factor in this decrease.

Tavern meal plan revisions ... We're very happy that the Tavern opens for meal plans at 6 p.m. this year instead of 8 p.m. In addition, several new choices at the American Pi give us more variety for tasty dinnertime treats so we don't have to eat exclusively at Chik-fil-A. While we'd like to be able to use meal plans Friday and Saturday, this is a great start.

Thumbs Down

Tavern decor ... OK, we don't want to sound like the fashion police, but ... what were the people who decorated the Tavern (The Max?) thinking? It looks like some sort of happy acid trip or a neon reincarnation of our elementary school cafeteria. We miss the darker lighting and the bar of the old Tavern, plus the booths, pool tables, big-screen TV, smaller TVs, and wall art. The food selections are better, but now we want to go eat somewhere else once we've purchased our food.

Physical plant goof-ups ... We understand that the power has to go out sometimes for building maintenance, but when it's supposed to be at a certain time, we plan around it. Power did not go out when it was scheduled last night in all the locations it was said would be effected, and consequently many people were inconvenienced - including the staff of this newspaper, which lost 30 minutes of production time.

Housing and Dining proposes move ... We've already lost two formal lounges to the administration - Leonard Hall's and Centennial Hall's - and we don't want to see others bite the dust. We may not use the formal lounge in Anderson every day, but it's useful for us from time-to-time and we don't want to see it converted into Housing and Dining offices. Although the move probably wouldn't happen for at least a year, encroachment by the administration on our living space should be a concern for everyone.