Shields next in KPU fall lineup

The Kennedy Political Union will be presenting Mark Shields, a CNN news moderator, in Ward 1 at 8 p.m. tonight as the second event of the year.

KPU is a Student Confederation office that brings top speakers such as politicians, journalists and other nationally known orators. Over the past year, KPU welcomed Washington Post Editor Bob Woodward and White House Correspondent Helen Thomas in addition to approximately a dozen others.

The KPU is following a Welcome Week presentation by Jack Gordon on political assassinations with Shields, the moderator of the CNN show 'The Capital Gang,' an award-winning public affairs roundtable. Shields is known for his wit and wisdom and has been described as the "wittiest political journalist in America" by the Wall Street Journal.

Shields' event was announced Thursday as the next part of a new year for KPU that will offer many new events to attract students, according to Eric Morley, director of KPU.

"When we look for speakers we try to find ones that will attract students," Morley said. "We especially want to interest freshmen and sophomores."

Most events for KPU cannot be announced more than a few weeks earlier due to the lengthy process of paperwork that preludes any event. Two possible speakers are still going through the process yet campus organizations have already begun to promote them to students.

The first is Darrell Green, former cornerback for the Washington Redskins, who is scheduled to speak Oct. 16 as part of the Homecoming festivities, according to Alumni Programs. Green is to speak in the Kay Spiritual Life Center at 8 p.m.

Green is well known for his 20 years on the field for the Redskins as well as charitable donations off the field.

"A lot of people are getting excited about [Green]," SC President Nick Terzulli said. "It will do well to tie Homecoming together with Alumni and Athletics."

Also on the calendar for October during Family Weekend on the 24-26 is the KPU presentation of New York Governor George Pataki. The three-term Republican will be featured in Bender Arena at 8 p.m. on Oct. 25, according to New Student Programs, a branch of the Office of Campus Life.

Pataki gained a national image for both his handling of the 9-11 attacks and the recent power outage in New York. He is also known for his leadership in the reform of education and crime prevention in New York, according to the Family Weekend Web site.

"Governor Pataki is going to be a big draw, being a month after the 9-11 anniversary," Terzulli said. "I really think people will turn out to hear him speak about leadership."

Also on the calendar for KPU may be a speech by President Benjamin Ladner in November, according to Terzulli. Ladner would speak on the future of AU in his first speech to the student body this year.

"I think [KPU] is doing a fine job of getting speakers this year," Terzulli said. "Eric [Morley] is doing good at thinking outside the box"