Restored Archives reopens

The National Archives have reopened to the public, with new display cases for the country's founding documents, after being closed for more than two years.

The Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence, known collectively as "the Charters of Freedom," were taken off display in July 2001 to be restored and re-encased due to concerns that the old display cases were showing signs of age. The cases have since been redesigned as part of a renovation effort for the Archives's rotunda.

"One thing Americans agree on, is [the documents] define what America is all about," history professor Laura Kamoie said. "They have continuing significance in how people feel it is to be American."

The new cases, designed with the help of NASA, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, and Heery International, give the impression the aged parchments have been placed in space capsules. Made of aluminum and titanium and filled with argon gas as compared to the helium of the previous cases, these cases will better preserve the documents, according to a statement from the National Archives.

The rotunda's large murals by artist Barry Faulkner, which serve as backdrops to the Charters of Freedom, were also touched up.

The documents are now accessible to more people because the display is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, National Archives and Records Administration spokesperson Laura Diachenko said.

"It's really nice," freshman Joe Calabrese said. "I think it's great they are now on display for all the people to see."

The renovations also included correcting electrical, mechanical, plumbing and fire safety deficiencies. Diachenko said that no work had been done in the building for at least 68 years.

Nearly $90 million for the $110 million project came from the 2001 budget for the Archives, according to the NARA budget report. The rest came from private funding.

A private ceremony Wednesday, attended by dignitaries including President George W. Bush and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), observed the 216th anniversary of the Constitution and the reopening of the National Archives rotunda.

The refurbished rotunda display is just the first part of the new archive exhibit, entitled "the National Archives Experience," which will also include a 294 seat documentary theater and public vault displays.

"We're trying to bring people behind the scenes, let them experience what it's like to research at the Archives, behind the stacks," Diachenko said. Events and extended hours planned for the public Thursday and Friday were cancelled due to Hurricane Isabel, but many people attended a free outdoor concert and light show Friday.

The Archives, located on Constitution Avenue NW between Ninth and Seventh streets, resumed normal hours Saturday. They are open daily between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. during the fall and winter season. Starting April 1, the Archives will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and will extend to 9 p.m. after Memorial Day, according to the National Archives Web site.