Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor,

In the latest issue of The Eagle, an article was published entitled "Mud rompers pay for play," (Sept. 25). It's amazing to see how the University is attempting to charge students for the damage to the grass in the Quad. Each student received a letter discussing how we should "prepare" for the hurricane. Did the University not get that memo? An intelligent thing for the administration that prepared that memo would have been to add on "Hey, don't play on the wet grass 'cause you'll mess it up." Or, the grounds crew who takes care of the grass could have made a brilliant discovery and realized that students play on the main quad on a regular basis ... and maybe taping off the area could have prevented any damage. It's pretty obvious that the grounds crew is pretty dumb, because students steal TDR trays every time it snows to go sledding. Did it not occur to anyone to say "Hey, what do you think the students will do in a hurricane?" We have all seen the Ultimate Frisbee kids playing in the rain; why wouldn't they play in a hurricane? My advice to Gail Hanson is to quit her job because it's obvious she knows nothing about student life on campus. Any management major in Kogod could do a more efficient job at running this school than the current individuals in charge.

Hanson knows that this damage wasn't intentional. Yeah, well, no student should be held responsible when it is her responsibility to prevent this and she blatantly messed up. Taking $100 from 80 students to save your job is pathetic Ms. Hanson; you should admit that you and the rest of your staff are unqualified to run Campus Life at this school and resign. Stop robbing the students. This could have been prevented and Campus Life knows this but won't admit that they are complete mess ups.

Fred Netzband Senior Kogod School of Business

Dear Editor,

I read with some interest the article "Mud rompers pay for play," (Sept. 25) about the mud bowl, and the question of some as to why there should not be restitution. This University invests substantial amounts of money in their facilities and grounds.

Sure, it was fun, but that does not mean you can't be responsible. I'm sure painting graffiti, breaking ceiling tiles, damaging exit lights and other forms of vandalism could be considered fun, too. To say this was not intentional is also very interesting. What did they think would happen? I gather this was not an SAT question. Hmm, rain, ground, 100 people stomping, you don't need much creative thinking to envision a result. The staff here puts a lot of time and physical effort in keeping this campus as livable as possible for the students and faculty. I know for a fact what it has taken to bring the Quad back from last year's drought. I think restitution is the least that could be expected. Yes, "it's a lot of money for a student to dish out," but this is part of adult life. You make a decision, one that may have consequences, and you pay the price of your actions. The University pays for a lot of repairs that are never passed on to the students as a result of youthful exuberance. So, let's do the grown up thing, and act like adults with our actions. Do the next right thing.

Mark Frederick Senior Maintenance Coordinator Building Maintenance Operations

Dear Editor,

While I applaud L. Russell Allen IV's attempt at tactfully analyzing my sorority ("Carrie Conquers Campus," Sept. 19), I have to say that I am quite disappointed in the fact that his article had isolated a great chapter into something that it is not. For the record, Alpha Epsilon Phi does not promote promiscuous sex and expensive shopping excursions; strict Greek recruitment rules forbid all sororities to try such shenanigans. Even so, AEPhi does not need to promise such superficial and disenchanting things to receive new girls every semester. For your information, with the leadership of our recruitment chair Kate Armstrong, we have received amazing girls this semester. And no, they didn't join just because they thought they would be able to engage in what you call "a pursuit of shallow living."

In reality, I assume that he is dismayed with those bulletin boards are bombarded with our rush flyers and not Alpha Epsilon Phi. Yes, he is entitled to his own opinion. But what about other chapters that have used the same advertising methods that he condemns so much? Other Greek organizations: sorority, fraternity, social, and hobby-specific have used similar shows and advertisements to promote their chapters on campus during informal recruitment. I understand that his column was based on his opinion of the show and our flyers, but I am going to reiterate that he unfairly singled my chapter out. Perhaps you should take a look at all rush announcements and Greek life as a whole before you slander a particular chapter.

Lastly, as a writer in news media, he should know that advertisements do not always represent their product. I am offended that he insulted my chapter with such a superficial regard. In "Sex and the City," if you look beyond the sex and the shopping, you will see four women bonded with friendship who respect, love, and trust each other as they grow older. Alpha Epsilon Phi is about sisterhood, trust, respect, and everlasting friendship.

In the meantime, he has his column to defend himself from what he calls the horrific existence of an awful television series, and I have my chapter to defend us from people like him, who target sole organizations when dissatisfied with the world. What do you think, Mr. Allen, fair trade or trite epiphany?

Angelica Ramos Junior Alpha Epsilon Phi sister