Letters to the editor

Dear Editor,

As the newspaper on campus, something needs to be said about the drinking laws in D.C. First, we all know about the no drinking under 21. What folks don't know is that NO ONE under 21 can carry or touch any alcohol. The cops use this to make their quotas of arrests. You need to make sure all the new out of town students know this.

Lou Gatti is a graduate student and is the owner of Dixie Liquors.

Dear Editor,

I would like to point out some inaccuracies in last week's column about Sept. 11 events ("Sept. 11 event disliked," 9/11/03, Stokely Baksh). On the anniversary of Sept. 11, the AU College Republicans, along with the Student Confederation and other groups, sponsored a day of charity to clean up parks, assist recovering drug and alcohol addicts and work with the Boys and Girls Clubs. Before we signed on to the day of charity, we were unaware that some groups found the Salvation Army's hiring policies discriminatory. Although the CRs supported the SC's project, we didn't necessarily support the involvement of the Salvation Army. When we questioned the SC office about the controversy, we found them to be highly accommodating on this issue - immediately seeking out other venues for the event. Once we were satisfied with the alternative venues, the club proceeded with its co-sponsorship of the event. If the article was better researched, Ms. Baksh might have found this same scenario to be the case for many of the other co-sponsors of the event. Furthermore, the anniversary of Sept. 11 seems to be an inappropriate time to focus negatively on a group of people whose goal was to honor those who lost their lives.

Ibbie Hedrick is a senior in the School of Public Affairs and is president of the AU College Republicans.