Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

From the Eagle Sports Desk

Field Hockey downs Georgetown University in fifth straight win yesterday, 6-3 The Eagles flew past Georgetown, 6-3, and collected their seventh-straight win Wednesday, Sept. 24. Freshman Camile Infante ended the day with three assists and one goal.

AU grabbed an early lead of 1-0 in the first six minutes of the game. Senior Melissa Snyder scored off a rebound after Georgetown 'keeper Caitlyn Faller stopped sophomore Maureen Daniel's shot.

The Hoyas responded quickly with two goals in the 10th and 13th minutes off penalty shots. Georgetown went into halftime with the lead, 2-1.

Then the Eagles fought back, scoring five goals in the second half. Daniel tied the score in the 39th minute off an assist from Snyder. Then, Infante put a penalty shot past the GU goalkeeper.

Georgetown answered with what was their final goal of the game in the 50th minute. The Eagles captured the victory with three straight goals. Freshman Heidi Hershberger notched two goals while junior Javiera Villagra scored off consecutive passes from sophomore Heather Maranzano and Infante.

Senior Laura Miller posted four saves on the day.

After a short time off, the Eagles return to action against Fairfield at the University of Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 4 at 10 a.m.

- LAURA RANDISI

Miller PL Defensive Player of Week, DeTroia named PL Freshman Player of Week This week the Patriot League honored Women's Field Hockey, senior goalkeeper Laura Miller of Pennsburg, Pa. and freshman Kaitlin DeTroia of North Caldwell, N.J.

Miller, for the third straight week in a row, was named PL Defensive Player of the Week. So far this season Miller has posted 45 saves with a save percentage of .911.

In last weeks game Miller led AU to their first ever victory over Lafayette with 13 saves on 18 attempts.

De Troia was named the PL Freshman Player of the Week after scoring her first goal of her college career against Lafayette. De Troia has played in five games this season and has accounted for 8 shots, 7 shots on goal and two points this season.

- ADAM MONTGOMERY

Men's Soccer's Freddy Llerena returns to action after suffering leg injury last season Sophomore Freddy Llerena, AU men's soccer sophomore midfielder, made his second match appearance since suffering a compound fracture to his leg last spring. Llerena came on in the 83rd minute, and made a key decoy run down the right side that led to the Eagles' third goal.

"I told [Freddy] I wouldn't play him until he told me he was ready," said Head Coach Todd West. "The last couple games, he's told me he was. So we've tried to put him in late in games, where his legs will be fresher than his opponents. We're still bringing him along slowly."

Llererna was injured in a Men's Soccer friendly March 25 against D.C. United at Reeves Field. Llerena's right leg sustained a compound fracture of the fibia by a two-foot tackle by United player Hristo Stoitchkov.

Llerena's first appearance came on Sept. 12 in Norfolk in a 1-0 AU loss to No. 6 Old Dominion.

- IAN QUILLEN

Gordon Templeman named Brine Offensive Player of the Week for Men's Soccer Sophomore Gordon Templeman of Virginia Beach, Va., was named the Patriot League Men's Soccer Brine Offensive Player of the Week for his impressive performance this weekend.

Templeman scored two goals for AU in Saturday's game against George Mason Univeristy that led the Eagles to a 3-1 victory over GMU.

Saturday's performance by Templeman marks his most productive outing of his career at AU. In his first scoring outing of the year he doubled the number of goals he scored last year and claimed his first multiple scoring game as an Eagle.

- A.M.

Women's Soccer falls short in a 2-0 loss to Virginia Commonwealth Wednesday Women's Soccer fell to Virginia Commonwealth Wednesday, Sept. 24 in a down-to-the-wire game, 2-0.

The Eagles traveled to Richmond hoping to extend their three-game winning streak, but fell short. Senior 'keeper Lauren Wohl collected 10 saves on the day, five of which were in the first half, keeping VCU scoreless.

AU held the Rams at bay for most of the game, despite being out shot by a 19-5 margin.

The first goal was scored in the 61st minute, when Hedda Gardsjord put one past Wohl. After Wohl stopped the initial shot, Gardsjord controlled the rebound and crossed the ball into the net.

Then, with less than 16 minutes remaining, VCU netted the final goal to secure the win.

AU hosts Patriot League rival Holy Cross on Saturday, Sept. 27 at 1 p.m.

- L.R.