From the Eagle Sports Desk

Cross Country claims another victory The Men's Cross Country team traveled to the U.S. Naval Academy on Saturday and won the Navy Invitational, following last week's win at Mt. St. Mary's.

The final score was AU 27, Navy 28, Tennessee 80, UMBC 116, VCU 140 and Mt. St. Mary's 170.

AU had five runners place in the top 10, including the winner, senior Matt Seymour, with a personal record of 25:04. Junior Pat MacAdie finished in third with a time of 25:16.77.

Following Seymour and MacAdie were sixth-placing sophomore Phil Gaeta (25:41.66), junior Dan Maurer (25:45.03), who finished eighth, and junior Sean Duffy (25:45.90), who finished ninth.

This is a big win, as AU is expected to win the Patriot League and Navy is its main rival.

"The expectations I had were met and exceeded. I am very pleased with the outcome," Head Coach Matt Centrowitz said. "As far as who was the most impressive and who made the biggest improvement I would say Matt Seymour and Pat MacAdie."

AU continues its run through the PL Saturday, Sept. 27 at the George Washington Invitational.

- NICK CHIN

Field Hockey scores first league win The Eagles' Field Hockey team picked up its first Patriot League victory Saturday as it defeated the Lafayette Leopards, 2-1 in overtime, in Easton, Pa.

Junior Javiera Villagra scored the game winner in overtime to move the Eagles' record to 5-1 overall and 1-0 in the PL.

With 8:41 left in the first half, freshman Kaitlin DeTroia scored her first goal of her AU career to put the Eagles in front.

The score stayed 1-0 until the 50th minute, when senior goalkeeper Laura Miller surrendered her first goal in 208 minutes as Leopards forward Jennifer Stone tied the score. Miller ended the day with 13 saves.

The game pitted the No. 23 and No. 27 ranked teams in the Div. I National Coaches Poll. The victory should propel the Eagles past Lafayette and possibly into the top 20.

Coming up for AU is a Wednesday, Sept. 24 game at Georgetown, starting at 3:30 p.m. The next league game for the Eagles is Oct. 11, when they host Lehigh at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

-JESSE EPSTEIN

Tennis alumni return to settle score The Men's and Women's Tennis teams hosted the AU Alumni Fest Saturday.ÿThe day featured current AU Tennis players facing off against former Eagles in a round robin format.

Former players included those from several years past as well as players who just graduated last May. The day was an opportunity for current Eagles to learn from past players, as well as display their abilities.

In addition to tennis, the day's events included a lunch for all the players and coaches, along with many students' parents who came in to watch the Alumni Fest.ÿ

Both AU coaches, Carol Daniels and Martin Blackman, used the event as a warm-up for the fall season.ÿ

Next up for AU Tennis is the Maryland Invitational at College Park, Md., Sept. 26 to 28.

-J.E.