From The Eagle Sports desk

Men's Golf takes title at AU Classic; Freshman Shagrin leads the way Men's Golf started off its season in the winner's circle as the team placed first in the AU Classic with a combined score of 597 at the Rome Country Club this week.

The team, bolstered by freshman phenom Todd Shagrin, won the event after three consecutive days of competition. Three Eagles finished in the top six, led by Shagrin, who had scores of 75 and 71 for a total of 146. Although Shagrin's performance led the AU pack to victory, it wasn't enough to win the individual title as Long Island University's Sean Donnelly finished with a combined score of 141.

Excellent performances were also chipped in by juniors Chris Schieffer and Phil Kief as well as seniors David Stone and Seth Kaplan. The four had respective scores of 148, 149, 154 and 162.

The Men's Golf team will now take a break from action to savor its title win before the next competition. The team will next head to Pittsburgh for the Robert Morris Invitational on Oct. 13.

- KEITH F. SHOVLIN

Senior Miller named PL Defensive Player of Week Senior goalkeeper Laura Miller began her final season at AU with standout saves between the pipes, earning her the Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week award for Sept. 8. She collected 23 saves over three games and a .885 save percentage.

On Aug. 31 Miller tallied her seventh shutout of her career against Longwood with four saves, helping her team defeat the Lancers 4-0. Then, at Richmond on Sept. 5 only two goals slipped past Miller. She made two saves facing 12 shots in the double overtime loss, 2-1.

Miller rallied her team for the game against Rider. She made 17 saves, letting in one goal to help her team with the 3-1 win.

- LAURA RANDISI