Campus News Briefs

Bender hosts Job and Internship Fair

The Career Center will be hosting its Fall 2003 Job and Internship Fair this Thursday, Oct. 2 from 1 to 5 p.m. in Bender Arena.

Over 100 recruiters from a variety of organizations will be participating at the fair, including PBS, WAMU-FM, EMILY'S List, Embassy of Japan, CIA, U.S. Census Bureau and Hot 99.5.

The Career Center encourages attendees to wear business attire, pick up a copy of the Job & Internship Fair Student Resource Guide, research the organizations and internships and attend rsum critiques. Rsum critiques will be held on days leading up to the event. They are on a first-come, first-serve basis.

For a full list of participants, check out www.american.edu/careercenter.

- STOKELY BAKSH

AU Abroad asks for student suggestions

As part of the reorganization of the World Capitals Program into the new AU Abroad, the Office of International Affairs is sponsoring a contest for students to submit program site suggestions.

The AU Abroad Web site states, "To assure that new programs match current student interests, we need your input!"

The contest allows students to submit their own ideas for programs to auabroad@american.edu. All submissions will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win $50 in EagleBuck$.

Submissions are due Oct. 15 and must include a brief explanation as to why the site should be considered. Questions are to be directed to Brita Doyle at brita@american.edu.

- KEITH F. SHOVLIN

Conference call tries for Guinness record

Democratic Presidential Candidate Howard Dean will be holding a conference call with members of the AU chapter of Generation Dean tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the McDowell Formal Lounge.

The event is free but students are asked to make a donation to Dean's campaign. The event will feature free food as well as a special Dean DVD for the group to watch.

ABC news will be attending the event and filming it for the Tuesday edition of Good Morning America.

Dean's "House call at AU" will be part of a nation-wide conference call, according to David Kinsey of Generation Dean AU.

The 30-minute discussion may enter the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest conference call in history.

Attendants must register beforehand with Ben Murray, the organizer of the event. Murray can be reached at ben@brmurray.com or (240) 476-6318.

- K.F.S.

Teach for America recruits at AU tonight

A representative of Teach for America will speak to students in Ward Circle Building Room 114 tonight from 8 to 9 p.m. in an event sponsored by the Career Center.

Teach for America Corps member and AU graduate Hilary Lewis will talk to students about the program, which involves recent graduates as teachers in urban and rural public schools.

The two-year commitment is an effort to "expand opportunity for children," according to a statement from the Career Center.

The program, which works with AmeriCorps, selects nearly 2,000 people per year to serve as full time, paid teachers at 20 sites throughout the country. The program's vision is that, "One day, all children will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education."

Students should contact the Career Center for more information or visit the Teach for America Web site at www.TeachForAmerica.org.

- K.F.S.