AU under construction

The University is still undergoing a number of construction projects. Within the next few months and years students may notice some differences. Here are updates on these projects around campus.

KATZEN ARTS CENTER

Construction has begun on the Katzen Arts Center, but inclement weather has delayed the project somewhat, according to Jerry Gager, director of the Office of Facilities Planning and Development.

Since construction began, 50 of the 100 planned work days have been cancelled due to inclement weather. Despite the delays, much construction has been done, Gager said.

According to the Katzen Arts Center Web site (www.american.edu/katzen) excavation is an important part of the start of the construction, with two levels of underground parking and a portion of the building underground.

Since May 1, preparation for the start of excavation has been the focus. Wells have been installed to remove ground water from the site and the steel that will be used to support the adjacent soil during excavation (called shoring) has been assembled.

The steel beams (called piles) will be installed vertically in holes drilled in the earth all around the site. As the excavation progresses, planks will be installed between the piles to form the shoring.

The project is to be completed in 2005.

SCHOOL OF INTERNATIONAL SERVICE

A new SIS building is currently in the works in response to a perceived need to consolidate SIS into one building, according to Gager. SIS is currently spread over 10 buildings on campus, according to SIS Dean Louis Goodman.

Goodman stated the need to bring together the SIS community by having a space for them to gather and interact. He also said the new building will have a lounge, and the classrooms will be "flexible" for various uses.

Architects are currently working with the University to plan the project, which is estimated to cost $20 million, according to Gager.

A possible concept of the plan is to expand the building into the current Bender parking lot, Gager said.

All parties involved have compiled a program statement, Gager said, which lists needs for the building.

"I am delighted we are all moving ahead," Goodman said of the new building's progress.

ROPER AND GRAY HALLS

Roper and Gray halls are now "substantially completed," according to Gager.

The Mathematics and Statistics Department and School of Education have moved into Gray Hall. Roper Hall cannot yet be occupied, but the building will undergo an inspection this week, Gager said.

Once Roper Hall passes the inspections, the economics department will move into the building. During the planning of the construction, the department worked with the contractors regarding special needs of the building. These needs included overhead projectors, sizing of rooms, space arrangement and furniture selection.

"We have been working for two years to make sure our special needs are met," said Larry Sawers, chairman of the economics department.

The building is also awaiting furniture so as to allow occupation of it, Gager said.

McCABE HALL

McCabe Hall is in the "concept phase" of its renovation, eventually to become the new Student Health Center, according to Gager.

Gager also said the University is currently discussing the plans with the various school officials that are involved in the project. The economics department will be moving out of McCabe once Roper Hall is completed, Sawers said.

CLARK HALL

Clark Hall is also under construction with "cosmetic" and environmental systems being renovated, including the piping of the building, according to Gager. The Office of Facilities Planning & Development will try to complete the project by the beginning of winter break.

BRIDGE PROJECT

A new bridge between the Butler Pavilion and the Mary Graydon Center is in the works, according to Gager. The bridge will free space in the lower level of Mary Graydon and will add dining space in TDR, Gager said.

The project, proposed in the Campus Plan, is labeled a Residential, Campus Life and Athletic addition.

A new, enclosed bridge will replace the current structure, according to Marsha Lea, an architect with the landscape architecture firm of Idad. Lea presented the idea of the bridge to the D.C. Zoning Board on Feb. 15, 2001, when the board was considering the Campus Plan.