Homecoming court selection arrives

"Action Through the Ages" is the theme of this year's homecoming celebration, which will be held February 18-24.

The highlights include men's and women's basketball games, a fashion show and silent auction in the tavern, a block party on the quad and the Founders Day Ball.

The traditional pre-game parade will not take place this year, according to Student Confederation Homecoming Chairwoman Jo Imbriani. Instead of a parade, a homecoming block party will occur on the quad. Any club, organization or group of students may pay for a spot on the quad and build a standing float, Imbriani, a junior in the School of Communication said. With standing floats groups "don't have to pay $600 to get it on a truck," Imbriani said, adding she hopes the elimination of a large fee will encourage more participation in float making for homecoming.

Imbriani also said that many students missed the parade last year. "There's no way you can miss this," Imbriani said.

On Thursday, Feb. 22 a fashion show will take place in the Tavern. About 35 student models will participate in a show styled after Fashionably Loud on MTV, event coordinator Eric Moss said.

"I'm hoping to start a tradition," Moss, a sophomore in SOC, said. The show will feature live music, DJs and members of the ATV show Hip Hop Zone. Students interested in modeling or performing in the fashion show should attend the auditions on Wednesday, January 24 from 8:15-11p.m. in the McDowell Formal Lounge.

"All students are welcome to try out," said Moss.

Moss said he is hoping the fashion show will be an opportunity to showcase student talent.

The homecoming court will be selected through interviews next week said Homecoming Court Coordinator Jamie Curtis.

Any student group, including athletic teams, Greek organizations and clubs are permitted to nominate members to the homecoming court. A group of six students will select the court.

"It's important that the homecoming court be diverse," Curtis, a sophomore in the School of International Service said.

Court members do not have to be seniors, Imbriani said. Nominees will be evaluated on their involvement in the AU community, as well as their ability to show school spirit and how well they represent the theme of action, said Curtis.

This year the Founders Day Ball will be held February 24 at the Old Post Office Pavilion on Pennsylvania Avenue.

"We want people to be excited and we want people to come," Curtis said. Homecoming week will also include ballroom dancing lessons from the AU Ballroom Club, a Latin Party sponsored by SIS and LASO, Late Night Kareoke in TDR and a step show sponsored by the National PanHellenic Organization.

Homecoming is a "great way to pull the campus together," Curtis said.