Concert Review: Lollapalooza

One week before Woodstock '94 commenced in upstate New York, Lollapalooza '94 rolled through our area. Held at the Charleston Racetrack in scenic (barren) West Virginia, this festival proved to be better than ever in its third year.

Lollapalooza's founder, Perry Farrell, is the singer for Porno for Pyros and the now-defunct Jane's Addiction. Unlike Woodstock, this party was put on by our peers, and it showed. For thirty bucks you got nine main-stage bands and seven side-stage ones. There was also ethnic and vegetarian food, spoken-word readings, a virtual reality ride, computer dating, Rain Rooms, shade tents, and free parking!

Before the festivities began, the Tibetan Monks of the Dalai Lama's Monastery chanted away on stage to a somewhat confused-looking crowd. Soon after, Green Day pounced on stage and kicked off the jam. Their punk rock and insults were followed by the noisy guitars of L7, sing-a-longs with the Breeders, a mellow set by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, not enough songs from A Tribe Called Quest, funkification from George Clinton, and predictable antics of the Beastie Boys. Finally, nightfall brought a somber end with the Smashing Pumpkins. Phew!

Luckily, weather was beautiful and security guards were "mosher-friendly" (many of them familiar faces from D.C.'s 9:30 Club). The bands rolled on down to North Carolina after the show and fans drove home eager for showers and bed. Hopefully, same time, same place, and different bands next year!