Delivering American University's news and views since 1925. | Monday, December 18, 2017

Congressman John Lewis to speak at DMV Multicultural Greek Summit

Civil rights hero will address students Saturday

Congressman John Lewis addresses the media in January. Lewis will address students at the DMV Multicultural Greek Summit on Nov. 18. 

The Kennedy Political Union, in collaboration with AU’s Intercultural Greek Collective (IGC) are bringing civil rights figure and Congressmen John Lewis to be the keynote speaker for the DMV Multicultural Greek Summit on Saturday, Nov. 18, according to a KPU press release. Lewis’ speech will take place in MGC 3-5 between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.

Lewis, a Democrat who has represented Georgia’s fifth congressional district since 1987, is often called “one of the most courageous persons the Civil Rights Movement ever produced,” according to the release.

As an undergraduate at Fisk University, Lewis was a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. From 1963 to 1966, he was the Chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), a key organization responsible for student activism and racial justice on campuses across the country.

Throughout his career, Lewis has been awarded 50 honorary degrees from different colleges and universities and was granted one of the highest civilian honors by President Barack Obama: the Medal of Freedom. As well, Lewis is the co-author of the #1 New York Times bestselling graphic novel memoir trilogy, “MARCH.”

As for the inaugural DMV Multicultural Greek Summit, this event is hosted by IGC and will include eight different universities around the DMV area, including Howard University, Georgetown University and George Washington University.

People interested in registering for the summit can do so here. Lewis’ speech is free and open to all undergraduate students who register for the speech.

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com

Never miss a story.

Get our weekly newsletter in your inbox.